Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WATERMELONS























On this cold midwinter day
   It is strange
that I should be thinking
   of watermelons!

They are definitely
    out of season...and
you can't plant 'em again
    'til May!

I have been reading---
    You guessed it---
about this very subject.
    A poet I admire talks
about the "miracle
    of melons!"

A sculptor wowed me 
       good and proper
 with a splendid photo of 
     a carved-tiger melon!

In my mind there is even
    a metaphor for 
writing and watermelons---
    A writer often has to scrape
his mind for inspiration and
    ideas----just as a kid
scrapes the red, with a spoon,
    out of the rind.

One thing  is forever certain.
    A man never loses 
his boyish fascination
    with watermelons!

They are about everything
    in life that's good
and fun and boyish!
    Fishing trips, picnics
in the park, Fourth of July,
    going to grandpa's farm!

When the "frost is on the
    pumpkin...and the
fodder's in the shock..."
    and you're in the field
  on a fall day
     shocking feed bundles---
Have you ever
      broken open a melon---
a leftover from summer...
      and eaten the dripping
heart? Unforgettable!

Surely there is some store
    that right now
sells watermelons...
       imported ones?

If so, I'm gonna find it,
    for I just can't wait
for a chunk of
   watermelon, with the
cold juice running 
    down my chin...

And buy a second one...
    For you see, I'm
hooked on the idea
    of making a 
melon sculpture!

Must try it!
    And I think it 
may even be---
    a cute little little 
piggy face!

********30******
BY MIL
12/26/13


No comments:

Post a Comment