Wednesday, March 5, 2014

MY TOP WAS SPINNING!



All I knew 
  that hot summer
     day in 1942

under the shade
  of the old elm tree
     was that 

there on the sidewalk
  my top was 
     spinning

finally I had learned
  to spin a top

The flies were having
  a field day sitting
     on top of

my big twelve ounce
        forgotten
  NEHI grape soda
      the one filled
        with Tom's
          peanuts

and leaning against the
elm tree...a nice large
       peanut had 
    somehow fallen to
        the ground

and a big fly with tinted
  green wings was 
    sitting on it--the
 peanut--and warning
    off all other flies

A B-17 was droning around
 the edge of town, mostly
   unnoticed by my me
    in my top euphoria

My numerous beat-up tops
    were lying askew in 
   every direction, mixed
    in among the elm roots
      many of them now
       reduced to mere
        blobs of wood
        unrecognizable

they had paid the price---
     victims of my 
       ineptitude

for you see, a top hurled at
  the cement incorrectly
    will land on its top
      will not spin and 
       will soon be 
        beaten up

there was a lesson here if
 only an eight year old
    had perceived it

the lesson: there is a correct
  technique involved with
almost every activity of life

throwing  kicking  running, 
  piano  violin  drums
    sewing cooking 
    acting speaking
          singing

with spinning tops the secret is
  in the angle of the throw

all I could think of that warm
      sunny  day in Clovis
   over there on Reid Street
  in the summer of 1942 was                 

let the word go forth into all
  the world

eight year old Mil
  has learned to
     spin tops

*********30********
BY MIL
02/04/14


No comments:

Post a Comment