Friday, March 7, 2014

ENCOUNTER ON A JET PLANE


By Richard Drake
Robert's story about meeting someone on an airplane triggered a memory flash stuck somewhere in the back of my mind.

Years ago I was on a consulting assignment in Washington, D.C. when the heavens opened up and started dumping snow while I was on my way to Washington National. Airport. As I was checking in my rental car, the shuttle bus operator came in and told us that they had just closed the airport due to the snow. No flights would be going out for the rest of the night. I asked if they knew the status of Dulles Airport.  They made a quick call and learned that that airport was still operating. I decided to make a dash.

The snow was coming down as hard as I had ever seen. I got on the highway leading to Dulles, but soon realized that I was not going to make it. I started looking for an exit that had a motel so I could hunker down for the night.  Rental cars in D.C. did not come with snow tires. I don't think anyone in the area put snow tires on during the winter months. As I approached an exit I observed three large State of Virginia snow plows entering the highway.  They lined up across the road way and started throwing snow to the side.  I crept close behind them and followed them to the exit to Dulles. Fortunately, the car rental drop-off was at the bottom of the ramp.

The shuttle hurried me to the departure area and I quickly found chaos.  The display board was showing canceled fight after canceled flight. The lines to the counters were packed. Even if I could find a flight leaving for Houston, I would never make it to the front. I found an empty phone booth and called my travel agent in Houston. I informed her of the situation.  She would find a flight with seats available, but as she told me, the departures were being canceled right in front of my eyes. She would tell me "Flight 424 through Chicago is available", and I would reply "Just canceled".  Finally she found me a seat on a flight to Houston, but I had little time to get to an agent. I pushed my way to the front just as they were announcing they were closing the flight. I MADE IT.

After I reached the plane I noticed that all of the seats were occupied but two in one row.  I took the aisle seat and collapsed. Just then, an attractive woman asked to slip into the empty seat. I was dumbfounded . It was Elizabeth Dole, the Secretary of Transportation.

She was a very pleasant seat mate. As soon as she could, she opened her briefcase and started to work. She struck up a conversation and wanted to know my personal history. When she learned that I had been in public transportation and was currently consulting with the Washington Metropolitan Area Authority, she started handing me position papers from her staff and asked me to comment. I did not think she really wanted my input into the government process, but I gave her the best advice that I had. I thought that she would give me a polite" thanks' and move on. She surprised me by asking detailed questions and writing down my responses.

When the attendants began their preparations for serving the inflight meal, she put her working papers away and took out her Bible which she read for a few minutes. When her meal was served she said a silent prayer.

I was very impressed with Secretary Dole and have always been an admirer.  I hoped she would have run for president. I could have really supported her.

---30---
FOR MIL'S
by Richard Drake, CHS '53 

No comments:

Post a Comment