Tuesday, March 11, 2014

LESS CAN BE MORE






***********************************************************
O LET THERE BE AN EXPERT OUT THERE,
SAYING: "BREVITY...IT'S ALL ABOUT BREVITY!"
***********************************************************

O how much better a place
    this world would be
if only we could learn the lesson:
    "LESS IS MORE."

It is a principle taught to us
    every day, by someone...
and diligently observed by
    newspaper writers!
Often one sentence...
    is one paragraph.
Nice... I think I like it.

Now the crime novel-writers
    have picked it up: brevity---
Page and a half chapters!
    And it works...."Why, Ah
read fourteen chapters
    last night...bet you can't
beat that!"

Less is more---certainly 
    a principle not observed
by sots and gluttons...
    Not that that applies
to any of us!

I have sat thru many speeches
    in my life, long ones...
and sermons....long ones...
    Some when the preacher
went twenty seven minutes...
    had a brilliant one going,
and then started over and went
    twenty minutes more.

Attention spans, ages of the 
    listeners, and bladders all
have to be considered...

O how I felt I was bordering on
    sacrilege...needing or wanting
to escape...for after all, 
    the subject matter was
holy.

Where was Preaching 101
    when you needed it.

My Beloved Editor says the same
    about me...
"Your stuff is really good, but
    you need to shorten it!"
"Well, doncha see, I'm like the 
    others---I like to hear myself
in print!"

I cook a little. Matter of fact, I am
    what they call a SOU Chef!
And can chop celery, peel garlic,
    bone chickens, slice steak,
make stews, chili con carne,
    and stuff. I learned that less
is more when it comes to salt, 
    hot peppers,vanilla, oregano,
and vinegar. De gustabus 
    non est disputandum.

There are some things in life,
    which, due to their nature
cannot be shortened. Trips 
    for one. Another is
baseball. Baseball games 
    are as long as they are!

(My wife thinks a good baseball
    game should be three or four 
innings! A nine inning game?
    "I don't think so.")

Once she went to a Duke's game---
    Fourth of July or something.
Went overtime, lasted thirteen innings!
    She was pooped...and nearly dead!
After her discussion with me
    about that long game---
I was nearly dead too!
    ....and it was her
LAST GAME! Ever.

So when we think about it---
    Brevity and moderation
may be principles woven into
    the fabric of the universe...
Which some Einstein will
    eventually discover.

But there are also things...
    which we want to last long---
Like vacations...or life itself---

So is the premise: "less is more"
    a valid one?

Maybe it should be taken 
    with a grain of salt---
But ah..ah... not too much!

What If the author of this poem
   didn't follow his own premise?
Uh...then we'd just call this long poem...
    an EPIC.

********30*******
BY MIL
12/28/13






Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment