Saturday, March 29, 2014

A WIND SYMPHONY IN THE ATTIC





The wind was roaring westward 
     thru Tijeras Canyon
that cold March midnight....
    Blowing a gale (it seemed),
as it was wont to do.

The wind was playing symphonies...
    Big dramatic ones, it seemed, 
with all the help it could find:

The soprano wind chimes on the 
    front porch, were being 
answered by the deep-throated
   bass chimes on the patio
in back...

The Rose of Sharon's limbs were
    brushing our bedroom window...
In the driveway, a trash can lid
   was blowing, sliding, and clanking
all around on the cement....as if
   waiting for the percussionist
to arrive and bring some order.

Giving all this---structure and rhythm
    was my big old mulberry tree
branch, up there, regularly bumping
   the attic wall....with a 
"BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, BUMP."

Somewhere in the house, a window
    was open a fourth inch...and
it produced a sad wailing sound of
    a weeping woman....moaning,
and adding to the symphony,

Whether faulty, or designed that way,
    our various roof vents tended to twist
and turn and add their creative
   noises during windy storms...as if
they just couldn't be still.

And here came the SPLAT! SPLAT!
    SPLAT!  big wet raindrops,
hitting the windows, the walls, 
    and the roof.

Suddenly I was wide awake...and
    wondering if all was okay...
I was caught up in this exciting
    drama that was taking place...
like it was the
     Creator's Own Symphony.

The Moaning Woman of the Wind,
    somewhere in a house window,
fascinated me...she had
     my attention....

Slipping into my masculine bunny-
    rabbit houseshoes, and my
soft fuzzy striped robe (which the
    Beloved Editor bought for me),
I decided I'd better check on things.
    Particularly the attic room!

Up the stairs I went, and I found the
    Moaning Woman---she was the
attic window, slightly open at 
    the bottom. 

Oh, if I could only sing with such pathos
    and feeling as she! What emotion!
The wind was putting its whole heart
    into this storm.

With wind, I've decided, it's an ego-thing.
    The wind knows it can't be seen...
So it has to show us what it can do.
    And it has an artistic side...

It was cold up in my attic...
    and there  was my 3/4 camp bed---
With a soft pillow; several nice old quilts
    were folded at the foot.

How it happened, I don't recall... BUT
    the next thing I knew, my rabbit
houseshoes were sticking out 
    from under the bed, and I was covered-
up and cozy under all those quilts...

All the sounds of the symphony 
    heretofore described were going on,
with some new ones I couldn't even
    identify...

The rain now was pouring onto the roof
    right over my head....and as I got
cozier and cozier and sleepier and
    sleepier, I thought of Wylie's
mother, who once wrote: "I've always 
    loved a good storm."

And the last thing I remember, is
    hearing the far-off "ARF, ARF, ARF"
of the neighbor's loud pesky little dog:

....and hoping he was under his porch...
..............and dry.

********30*******
BY MIL
3/29/14






No comments:

Post a Comment