Wednesday, March 5, 2014

"HUMILITY----AND HOW I ATTAINED IT"






THERE IS ONE TRAIT---WE ALL MUST HAVE.
********************************************************

You can stand there all day,
    naming the qualities of great men,
as many as you can think of...
    But there is one trait
you must never forget---
    HUMILITY.

This need applies to every class of man,
    just about---only two seem to be
excluded---generals and coaches.
    They don't have to be humble,
they just have to win.

Humility is expected in just about
    everyone else... teachers,
preachers, doctors, lawyers, writers...
    I've even know some humble
plumbers, yard men, and store clerks.

Avuncular uncles are always humble,
    loving, warm, and priceless...
as well as plump aunts, who are the
    best cooks in the world
and make great pies.

Have you noticed any particular
    pattern or places where prideful
pompous, people particularly proliferate?
    Yes! Clubs, boards, committees,
politics...everywhere in life, 

and when does pride first raise its 
    ugly head? Why kindergarten,
I'm sure...or soon after in the
    first grade. It's rife by high school!
and it's there from then on...always...
    somewhere...everywhere...

If someone is smart, talented, erudite,
    knowledgeable---in the cognoscenti,
We'll find it out...soon enough.
    No need to advertise it.

Don't you just love humble people?
    I've know many who were down
on their luck. Have you?
    I've breathed a prayer for them...
 as they checked the groceries...
     or wherever...

Pride and pomposity, When asked a
    question, replies: "Well, Senator,
does it really make any difference?"
     (Avoid this type of person.)

Ah, the pitfall of pride was recognized
    by us college boys, sixty years ago.
We had a joke, which we introduced
   with great pomposity, flair, and
facial expressions: "Have you read
    my book:
'HUMILITY..AND HOW I ATTAINED IT?'"

I learned a song in voice training 
    at HSU...it was "The Publican,"
and was based on words from our
Savior:

Two men went up into the temple to
pray, the one a Pharisee and the other
a publican.

The Pharisee prayed thus within himself:
"Lord, I thank thee that I am not as other
men are...extortioners, unjust, adulterers,
or even as this publican.

I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all
that I possess..."

And the publican standing afar off, would
not so much as lift his eyes to heaven,
but smote upon his breast, saying; "God,
be merciful unto me...a sinner."

I tell you, this man went down unto his
house, justified, rather than the other.
For everyone who exalteth himself shall
be abased, and he that humbleth himself
shall be exalted.

Luke 18:9-14

********30*******
BY MIL
01/21/14









Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment