Thursday, March 13, 2014

THE THIRTY-FIRST BOOK





THIRTY WRITERS ---THEIR MOST 
     CHERISHED BOOK,
*******************************************

Here is a most-unusual book for you book-lovers
and students of writing---a compilation of thirty
well-known writers--- each of whom has given
us his/her own story about a favorite book...and 
why.

The title is "Bound To Last," ed. by Sean Manning.
Immediately on seeing this book, and realizing the
cleverness of its premise, and seeing that it was 
"on sale," I called and ordered three. The lady said:
"Um..the computer shows there is only one left."
"I'll take it," I said hurriedly.

(It must be said here that I could've done without 
some of the blue language from three or four writers.)

All through this captivating book, as I read it, I kept
thinking: "Why I could do this...just like these people.
After all, I am a reader...and...a writer!" If..if..I only
knew what my favorite book is...

For you see, I have twenty shelves (not counting
boxes) of books in my office, garage, and shed--- an
estimated 3000 volumes---the reading of a lifetime.
A good many of these of these are fully noted in the
back fly leaves: the highlights of the books by page
numbers.

I may have a hundred favorites. How could I have ONE
favorite? I like Caro's books, McCullough's books;
I like Lynne Olson's "Troublesome Young Men," Leif
Enger, Carlo d' Este, and Victor Klemperer's World War
II Diaries: "I Will Bear Witness: The Nazi Years," Vols.
One and Two. One of the great experiences of life
was reading Patrick O'Brian's twenty historical sea
novels.

I love Mary Oliver's "A Thousand Mornings," and all
her books! I learned a lot from "The Apple Trees of
Olema" by Robert Hass. I have the life and poems
of Sylvia Plath. In our library---leather-bound,  are "Final 
Harvest," by Emily Dickenson, "Poems" by Marianne
Moore, "Selected Poems" by William Carlos Williams,
"Poems," by Edward Arlington Robinson, and a whole 
volume of Longfellow.

"I'll just pick a book," I decided, "and become writer 
 number thirty-one."

But first I looked at some of the unusual favorites 
chosen by the thirty writers. Why, a good many of 
them I'd never heard of! Books like: "Mason and Dixon," 
by Pynchon. (A daunting writer in the Faulkner-class, 
I'd been told.) Then,"Mythology" by Edith Hamilton, "The 
Collected Stories," by William Trevor, and "For Whom 
The Bell Tolls," by Hemingway.(Well, there's one I knew!)

Other favorites of the thirty writers seemed a bit strange
to me, like: "The New Professional Chef: Fifth Edition,"
"The Viking Portable Dorothy Parker,"and "Believe It Or 
Not," by Ripley. Who ever heard of "The Crying of 
Lot 49?" (Not I, that's for sure!) Then, there  was a
favorite book of one writer, titled "Dungeon Masters
Guide."

So with those books in mind, I just picked one of MY
favorites, with perhaps as equally-an-unusual-title
as theirs! My selection: "Between Silk and Cyanide,"
by Leo Marks (son of the famous owner of the
equally-famous London rare-book shoppe at 84 
Charing Cross Road!)

Unlike a good many hooks of the thirty writers: my 
selected book---has never been torn, yellowed,
stained by spilled Dr. Pepper, left out in the rain,
or splashed on by chlorinated water at poolside
while watching my child swim!  It has no mustard
or mayo stains on it, and I haven't had it since I was
a child. I haven't read it twenty times and it is not
coming apart. I do not keep it in a Zip Lock bag
due to its fragility.

It does have sentimental value, in that my Beloved
Editor bought it off a sale table at Page One and 
gave it to me for  Father's Day, fifteen years ago.
I have read it three rimes...and love it.

I love it for many reasons:
---I grew up in WWII, admired the British and have
never forgotten what a "d-----close run thing" that 
WWII was (Quoting Wellington on Waterloo).

---Leo Marks, a young genius, in 1942, joined-up
to fight...but the British recognized his genius in the
fields of cryptography and codes and re-assigned
him.

---He was put in charge of training and parachuting
attractive young women spies into occupied France.
It is heart-rending to read of those that were lost---
executed by the Germans, when these women were
volunteers and did not have to go.

---Leo Marks writes with a considerable amount of
self-effacing humor, and with great skill... which 
stood him in good stead after the war, when he 
became a Hollywood writer.

---84 Charing Cross Road Booksellers, as noted,
was famous in its own right as a world-wide source 
of rare books.It was a place frequented by the famous. 
Books were written and a movie was made about the 
store, owned by Leo's father.

---A most-memorable time comes at the end of the
war, when Leo's operation is closed down, all the
secretaries are gone---his building is being
emptied...many loyal spies have survived the war..
and are safe, and mostly back in civilian life.

He is sitting  in his dismantled office, smoking cigars 
with one of his male agents and they are reflecting 
on it all...and they are remembering those who paid 
the ultimate price...

The reader is left with a deep feeling of sadness,
emptiness, and nostalgia, as he realizes the 
magnitude and cost of the effort of this one operation 
of WWII, out of thousands of efforts...and the regrets 
or the loss of these fine women.

And then he remembers that Hitler's aspirations
cost the world seventy millions souls...all because
of his madness.

Now, add another favorite book to my list: "Bound 
to Last," edited by Sean Manning.

*********30*******
BY MIL
01/15/14







No comments:

Post a Comment