Monday, August 1, 2016

THE COMPLEAT "UNBORED" FISHERMAN


THE COMPLEAT "UNBORED"  FISHERMAN




It was a cold winter day when I dropped by
   to visit an old timer, who sang bass
      in my church choir....a man whom 
I had always admired.

There was no question: God lived in his
    heart...it showed in his face...he did
       miss church sometimes...when he 
           was out somewhere fishing.

He was in his shop, back of his garage, with
   a cozy little vented heater
going full blast.

It didn't take a genius to figure out that this
   man was an avid fisherman..."A Compleat
       Angler," as some book once had it.

For all around the room, hanging on the walls,
    stacked in corners, were creels, wading 
        boots, tackle boxes, fly rods, and 
remnants of mud and
            dried moss...lingering appropriately

There were trout and bass pictures, cut from
    old Field and Streams and Outdoor Life
        magazines...a mountain stream 
            flowing...stapled to the wall
and a picture of him, smiling and holding a 
     giant trout...

The walls were lined with shelves stacked 
    with clear, plastic boxes, all visibly
        full of many-colored trout flies.

All around the room, bunched and hanging 
    on eight-penny nails were feathers
       of all kinds, colored fabrics, and 
          what looked like pieces of fur...

At his sturdy workbench, with the tiny vises,
    sat his beat-up old leather office
       chair, with the rollers...neat deal

Little long-neck pliers, tiny scissors, spools
    of thread, fishing filament, and
        little tubes of glue littered his bench.

He produced an old rusty steel folding chair
    from somewhere, unfolded it  and said: 
"Sit down...let me show you some 
     beautiful fly- fishing flies!"

Reaching up, grasping a stack of boxes, he
    opened several and began to name 
       them, as if they were OLD FRIENDS.
          (they were---he had created them!)

This is a Blue Wing...and he laid them out
    for me---a Hare's Ear, Royal Wulff,
Parachute Ant, Elk Hair Caddie, Pheasant
   Tail, Frilly Dilly, Griffith's Goat, Yellow 
Worm, Royal Coachman, Real Warrior,
    Copper John, Bluewater Bait...

and on he went...eyes shining..."Many of
  these I thought-up, made and named
     myself..." 

"You've heard of the Rio Grande King,
    one of my favorites...and I am partial
       to the Black Wooly-Booger!"

I was no doubt watching, open-mouthed 
   and in awe, I may have even been day-
      dreaming a bit, visualizing myself
up in northern NM, near the Colorado border,
    on the remote Los Pinos Creek a' fly-
fishing...for trout...

Then, as he began to pull more boxes off
    his shelf, I realized that there were
        hundreds more flies, yet to be 
           named...and I was already
                mesmerized.

I said to my old bass singer, "Wow, you 
    must have a thousand or more 
        fishing flies in this room! How 
           can you ever USE THEM ALL?"

"I probably won't, 'cause most of us anglers
     have a half-dozen favorites, chosen
         for the particular stream, time of 
            year, time of day, and the "hatch..."

I replied: "Then why tie more flies than you 
    will ever use?"

Then he said something I will never forget.

"Well Mil, as wonderful, beautiful, and
     marvelous as our Earth and lives
        here are, all men are constantly 
            trying to overcome BOREDOM."
********************
(I, being an old catfish fisherman, was never
  any good at fly fishing. I think my sinker
       was too heavy.)
********************
BY MIL
8-1-16














No comments:

Post a Comment