Thursday, August 11, 2016

FALL CLEANUP AND READING...IN THE ATTIC


My cozy attic, with the  window looking out to the 
north, is not a place I frequent much in the hot 
summertime...tho' it is air-conditioned, it doesn't 
seem like a fittin' place to hang out in 100 degree 
weather such as we've had, seemingly---all summer
long.

It is a fine place to be in the fall, when the brisk 
winds rattle the house and the leaves are beginning
to scurry down the street, along the curbs...and there 
is an unmistakeable smell of autumn in the air...the
aroma of green chillies roasting is everywhere...

Ah, and when the snow comes I love to slip off
upstairs, throw a small log into the tiny but efficient
wood-stove, put on "Rio Bravo" or "Shakiest Gun In
The West," open a can of Beanie Weenies, and 
settle down on my surplus steel GI bed, sipping 
a good old Barq's Big Orange! Maybe under one
of Mother's old quilts...

Now on this mid-August day, the light is beginning to
remind one of autumn-- here at 6000 feet, in the shadow
of the Sandias. The mornings are getting cool, and
my attic called and here I am...planning to spiffy-
up the place a bit, inventory the "larder," (snacks)
and my special beverages, in my Avanti fridge.

Sometimes when I come up here (it being a place
filled with all kinds of memorabilia), I get sidetracked
and head off down "memory lane."

What else could you expect from a man who sees
his old beat-up straw hat, worn on so many cat-fishing
trips...his KaBar hunting knife, rakishly stabbed into
the end of the knocked-together pine bookshelf---or
Dad's old minnow bucket over there in the corner?!

Everywhere I look, this place is filled with happy stuff---
even the pictures on the wall...and especially the books 
filling the six-foot-wide bookshelf. Did I mention my fifty-
year-old Red Wing hunting boots over in the corner?
(They need a water-proofing job...)

I thought to pick out a good book about Alaska...maybe
to re-read an old one. Nothing greater than to settle
down with a "log cabin book," snow and ice everywhere,
temps below zero---at the end of a hot summer!

These wound up in my stack on the garage-sale table.
I pulled up my former office chair (with the rollers) and
began to peruse the stack.

"FORTY YEARS IN THE WILDERNESS," by Dolly 
   Faulkner.

"THE  IMPOSSIBLE RESCUE," by Martin Sandler

"THE WINDS OF SKYLAK," by Bonnie Rose Ward

"CHASING ALASKA," by John Green

1. "TRAILS,"
2. "THE LAST HOMESTEAD,"
3.  and "HOMESTEAD RECKONING," a TRILOGY
    by Warren Troy, who once homesteaded at
    Kachemak Bay, Alaska...and now lives at Willow.

    These Troy books, though being novels, really 
     capture the true ALASKA, tell a most interesting 
     and compelling continued story.

I settle down on my bunk with some Ritz crackers 
smeared with JIF EXTRA CRUNCHY peanut butter
and my last NEHI GRAPE---and "THE WINDS OF
SKYLAK," to re -read--- maybe the best Alaska book 
of all!

After a time I began to doze off---my thoughts 
drowsily thinking: "Who's been into  my "larder" up
here, eating my man-food? I must buy some more
tamales, Spam, sardines, and onions...and get some
more Delaware Punches, out of Mexico @ $2.00
each.   zzzz-zzzz-zzz.....
***************
BY MIL
8/11/16











No comments:

Post a Comment