Monday, August 29, 2016

A HEARING AID LAMENT

OLD ADAGE: "NEVER WATCH THOSE WHO MAKE 
  YOUR SAUSAGE...YOUR LAWS...OR YOUR

     HEARING AIDS..."


There must be a right smart---an awful lot---
    of sweaty, tedious, challenging,
         and exacting hard work

And pricey raw materials galore, and 
    maybe even overtime

That go into the making of a pair
    of those silly little things
       that you stick in your ear
    to help you hear

Strange also that health plans steer clear
    of any coverage...and please don't 
        mention them to a candidate---

Or it could be "Free hearing aids for all!"

"How much are they, nowadays?" You say
     to the Tech, as you exit that testing
  booth...then quickly sit down on the stool
      for the bad news

And you know---these hearing experts have
     been trained proper: they're 
  sent to school and have taken 
           "DICKER 101."

YES, they know how to "dicker" prices!

"Well er, it depends," he hems-and-haws,
      "whether you want...
           the OLD DATED ECONOMY ONES
      or
           the VERY BEST MODERN ONES!"

"Costs run from $2800 to $6000," he explains
     with excitement in his face and 
         anticipation of a big commission

(The whole event reminded me of the movie
      scene in "The Shakiest Gun In The
  West" when the shyster held the 
      abacus up for Don Knotts to verify.)

Try dickering with an "abacus quote!"

"Well, one thing's for sure, in all this business,"
     I say, "None of those pinto bean-sized
   aids, that have a little string on 'em
        and get lost in your ear---for me---"
            "NOSSIR!"

"Give me the good old-fashioned ones...
     you know, with the amplifiers 
   over the ears, like my old ones---"

"Besides, I've got a whole bunch of Size 13
      batteries," I tell him.

Picking out a pair, I say  "How much will 
    they be?" 

And I, having had "DICKER 404," quickly
    throw into the mix: "And don't forget it---
       I may run over to COSTCO---they
    have 'em real cheap---and just compare
       your price!"

Ah, I saw a glimmer of sympathy right then
    in that Boy's left eye, (and it was.when
        I realized that he had a glass eye...)

and I knew he felt a little bad for an old timer---
    one about to go on a dog food diet---
         just to be able to hear!

(And all this because BE had become a 
     whisperer in her later years)

This man "with heart" right then--sensed it was
    "time to close the sale," and 
          magnanimously cried: "It'll be 
     XXX Thousands, and we'll throw in 
          two-month's supply of free Size 13
                          batteries!"

"GLORY-AH.....GLORY-AH...." 
      Were the angels in heaven...
            singing?

We signed up---ah, my second pair!

"They'll be here in two days---I specified
    'RUSH! ' " he almost shouted.

(Maybe a GRAND of their price was for the
     rush-hauling of those heavy things.)

I pondered all this interesting happening
         on the way home,
    and discussed it with BE.

Hearing aids...hmmm....$2800--$6000...

More money than I made in a year, when
    we were young.

Half of what our first house cost....

Our '57 Golden Hard-Top Chevrolet was $2700.

Our turquoise '60 Chevrolet was $3800.

Our '72 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton Custom Camper 
    pickup was $5000.

Why are hearing aids so "absorbent"---as my
     N.Y. friend used to say?

"The answer my friend, is blown' in the wind...
    The answer is blown' in the wind."

******************
BY MIL
6/13/16








No comments:

Post a Comment