Friday, August 19, 2016

SHEEPHERDER AT SAN CRISTOBAL


                                     "SHEEPHERDER NEAR SAN CRISTOBAL," 1972
                                                               PHOTO BY MIL
                                      

Don was a retired heavy-weight school administrator from Wisconsin, 
and a member of the Enchanted Lens Camera Club along with me. One
day in October,1972,  we decided we would go on a "photo trip" to 
Northern New Mexico. He was an older fellow, and an expert award-
winning photographer....and I had learned much from him.

We brown-bagged our lunches in my little Coke cooler and took several
cameras each. I had my Rollei 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 and my M-4 Leica
(which in those days cost a whopping $600.) The Leica was a range-
finder camera---a descendant of those carried in WWII by Patton and
Rommel.

On trips, it rode beside me in the front seat...along with other needed items.
    
On this beautiful N.M. autumn day, we left early and went ten miles east and
up the rustic little highway, winding around north toward Santa Fe. 
  
I got an award-winning shot of "THE CHURCH AT GOLDEN," B&W film,
with a red filter---bringing out the clouds, darkening the sky a bit---and 
processed it in my own darkroom.

We drove to Taos, turned right and took the curving, curling, mountain
highway--through the beautiful hills, with quaint little scenic log cabins, 
nestled along the valley...all with chimneys smoking, warding off the early
morning fall chill.

Through Eagle Nest we drove, by the Vietnam Nam memorial---where we
stopped...parked for a time in silent tribute.... then wound our way up
over the pass into Red River, one of the highest little towns in the state.

We parked for a time by the clear, cold, gurgling Red River---under the 
pine trees...water that looked... and sounded so delicious, one was tempted
to drink. There we ate our lunch..and soaked our feet. Brrrr!

We took pics of the MOLYBDENUM MINE off to the right, as we drove west
out of Red River---for Questa.

Turning left at Questa, and headed  back toward Taos...and Albuquerque, we
came upon a sheep-herder on his horse... with his dog...half on the highway,
blocking it and trying to manage his wandering sheep.

Don was through for the day, and I said to him: "I've got to get that scene," 
grabbing my Leica off the seat, and parking barely off the highway...a
desolate area, anyway.I was hanging half out of  the car...

I got two shots, quickly, and it became one of my favorite photos of all time.
Looking into the distance and off to the right a bit---that's where Albuquerque
lies, unseen, 130 crow-miles in the distance.

(In the darkroom, a 35 mm negative (size of a big postage stamp) is more
difficult to print because any tiny dust or debris, is vastly magnified.)

Don an I ended a special  day with supper at the Santa Fe FURR'S 
CAFETERIA, finishing with coffee and "MILLIONAIRE PIE." A fine day!
******************
BY MIL

7/20/16

No comments:

Post a Comment