Friday, August 19, 2016

I AM NO SITTER AND LISTENER

There you have it---make the most of it.

Alas, listening to someone talk (ad nauseum) was not
built into my genes.

My disdain also included getting as far from a speaker,
as I could.

Why in Sunday School, age nine, I sat on the back row,
if possible. And hid.

At SWBTS in Dr. Baker's Church History class, there
I was---right there on the very last row, against the 
wall, almost. And Dr. Baker, that incomparable teacher,
with always a twinkle in his eyes, had a penchant for
saying at every session: "I'll repeat that assignment for
you guys on the back row."

My first career involved so many hours of sitting and
listening that it is a wonder I made it. It is a known fact
that folks' attention span for a talk is about twenty-five
minutes.

During those years of speech-listening, I was seated,
not on the back row, but on the podium---up there
with the choir---afraid to even scratch my nose...lest
it look like a "pick," remember Seinfeld. I couldn't even
squirm.

There have been some  funerals in which all talented
family members had to sing..or do eulogies...thus the
services lasted one-and-half to two hours.

Political speeches---smeeches---we can mostly forget
them---75% of promises will never be fulfilled. and who
can ever forget H.'s monotonous same-pitch A-Flat 
drone---called "speeches"  by some. (BE says it is a 
"G.")

Unfortunately, speakers with captive audiences may
fall in love with their own voices...and go on for forty-
five minutes.

I will tell you a story, containing a bit of humor, I think.
A pastor and his wife, with whom I worked, journeyed
all the way from far north Texas down to San Antonio
for a big state convention. And took me...

The auditorium for this huge convocation held, I 
reckon,  maybe four thousand people.

The first big morning we went in and passed all my
favorite back-row seats, and I'll swanny---you won't
believe this one---we paraded down that LONG left
aisle right down to the  third row...then excused our 
way across to the very middle, where there were 
three seats...and there we sat, smack in front of.the 
speakers. There were three speakers to come, that
morn.

"What have I got myself into," I thought. Here I am---
a small-bladder-guy locked in for three hours with
gallon-bladder-people, who like listening. Getting 
outta there would be a "federal case."

I will avoid the details other than to say: I never made
THAT mistake again. Skipped trips with them...

That afternoon I hung out in the big lobby, hob-nobbing
with old school friends, drinking coffee, eating popcorn
and doing what should be done at a convention. Talk.

After all---who likes sitting and listening?

Later they said, somewhat disapprovingly: "Where were
YOU?" After that, we were no longer convention buddies.

Boiling it all down, nowadays I like to get info and digest
it in my Lazy Boy. Like the old "DRAGNET" with Jack
Webb, "Just give me the facts ma'am---just the facts..."
and I will read...and figure it out.

Besides, have you noticed  lately at meetings---the back
rows fill up---early.

****************
BY MIL
8/15/16









No comments:

Post a Comment