Monday, November 4, 2013

"WE FIXED FLATS FOR FIFTY CENTS!"




*****************************************************
A RESPONSE TO:  "OUR MICHELIN FLAT TIRE"
by Bob and Art Snipes
*****************************************************
Actually we fixed flats for 50 cents, at OK Rubber Welders in Clovis, even in the 50s and 60s.   We used it as a loss leader and yes, we sold a lot of used tires, used tubes and occasionally a set of tires.   This was before tubeless tires.   As tubeless tires became popular, it was simple to plug the nail hole from the outside without dismounting the tire.   However, we learned that the plug sometime caused separation because air pressure would be forced around the plug, into the cords of the tire and separate the outer rubber from the cord and create a "separation", and ruining the tire. Consequently, it was most effective and proper to dismount the tire and apply a patch on the inside.

However,  with the birth of steel belted tires and improved rubber adhesives,  tires are very effectively plugged with no problem.  Actually, I still repair my own flats.  Even though nails and thorns do not penetrate the steel belts as easily, we still have flats.  Do you ever ask yourself "Why do I do that?"   I ask myself, why am I doing this?   I can get a flat repaired for $10-12.   I am 78 years old and it is hard for me to get down on the concrete,  jack up the car, pull the nail out,  rim the nail hole out and then forcefully insert the plug.  And as you know,  after you get down, it is even harder to GET UP.   Well, I do it because I enjoy it.   

We 'fixed' thousands of flats at O. K. Rubber Welders.  I guess you can say that it is in my blood.   And oh yes,  I save that $10-12 dollars.   Some day I will give you a little story about retreading tires, which was a blessing during the WWII years of rationed tires.  Yes,  I have Dad's first sales and expense book---just might send a little story about a farmer  boy going into the tire business in 1937.

   Bob
*********************************************************

We fixed a lot of flats for .49. Someone in the OK system figured that would bring in new customers. Well, it did that but our costs went up too. I'm not sure but maybe dad had to hire another tire buster. Thanks for a reminder of the good old days. 

    Art


No comments:

Post a Comment