Sunday, November 17, 2013

COUNTING THE LEAVES



*************************
ON SEEING IT ALL...
*************************

In a writing course
I learned that Joe Average
sees only
ten percent of his world.

Longfellow himself said:
"I'd rather travel with a poet---
They see and feel more."

Other writers say---
"Take your notebook with you
everywhere...and
write...even at restaurants!"

Mary Oliver, famous
Pulitzer poet wrote, in a poem,
no less, "I have my notebook
in hand as I go out the door,
in the mornings."

Oft this summer
As my dear wife and I sat
on our patio---in the sun...
The gentle winds were
rustling the trees...
Little birds were singing
and two were playing tag
way up in our pine tree...

...Did I open myself to any
and all thoughts, feelings,
and perceptions...trying
to tune myself to the
Spirit of God, Who was all
around and had "the whole world
in His hand..."

The mystery of the wind
fascinated and overwhelmed me;
The glimmer and shimmer
of the cottonwoods, mesmerized me...

As I sat there
My companion said:
"What are you doing?"
"I'm trying to absorb
the miracle of creation
into my finite mind---
to see the ninety-percent."
(How unpoetic that sounds!)

And I thought I had learned nearly
everything about trees...

Until...later...when

I read the incredible poet,
Mary Oliver...
Who climbed a tree, going
from branch to branch...
          With her notebook,
Marveling...and all the while...

Counting the leaves.

*******30*******
BY MIL
11/15/13

No comments:

Post a Comment