Friday, November 8, 2013

AUTUMN MEANS FOOTBALL!


Coach Biddix is in the  orange and blue shirt.

by Ned Biddix, guest writer

MIL'S NOTE:  Ned Biddix lived in Clovis and attended La Casita School 1945-46.
His father was pastor of the little white church, corner of 4th and Thornton. 
(See MIL'SPLACE: “THAT LITTLE WHITE CHURCH ON THE CORNER.”)
Ned was  a star athlete at La Casita Elementary School, moved to Florida and did 
the same there in high school and college. He became well known there as a coach
and friend to all sports. Here is a nice little reminder that he still remembers his old
days in Clovis, and his friends of many years.

Note:  Had Ned stayed in Clovis, he would have been a member of the talented and 
well-kmown CHS '53 athletes.

**********************************
Autumn, to the coach, means the leaves are changing and its football time.  Only one year at our little blessed La Casita school it meant that we played tackle football without pads or, if one had pads, they were homemade by our parents; such as cardboard shoulder pads.  Helmets were of all kinds such as real ones or old army helmets like the Germans had in the big one, WW2.  Our field by the school had little grass and I believe the soil was similar to clay (ask Bobby).for clarification of this..

I do not recall who our coach was at that time; but recall we did win all of our games.  Possibly the coach could have been our principal.  We were fortunate to have the likes of a Don Grant, Bobby, Richard, Andy, Alvis, and myself.  If memory serves me correctly, Don and I somewhat alternated running the ball and not sure we even did any passing.  Our historian Bobby Snipes (scatback) also I'm sure he could add to the events of our great little team. 
Unfortunately, I have left off the names of some of our starters; but at our age this is easy to do, so if they read this please forgive me.  Seems like AJ went to the other grade school in town.  I still can't remember the guy's name who I played with who lived on the other side of my alley and he had a fence around his backyard.  I'm sure he was on the team, so maybe some of the guys will know who he was.

Anyway all I can remember for the undefeated team was we were mobile, agile and hostile and had difficulty scheduling games.  I'm sure that Bobby and Richard can add to my memory of the good ole days.......#13 coach Ned


"The Little White Church on the Corner"

No comments:

Post a Comment