Thursday, August 3, 2017

"HOW DID I WIND UP....OUT THERE?"

THE ACTUAL WINDMILL
AT OUR HOME PLACE


        Photo, MRM, 1969
There I was
              out there in nowhere...
alone, 
    amidst three hundred-twenty
 acres---a wheat-stubble 
     field, with whited, dried, crusty
              soil---parched  by 
    the sun...and filled with 
                   healthy green weeds
getting taller by the day...and
         sucking water up...

There I was, at ninety-five degree
      noonday, sun fading my 
blue $2.95 work shirt... I was
     breathing hot tractor fumes
         as all air seemed 
to hang and not move, except
        to follow the tractor 

The worst thing was the crowd
     of hangers-on, 
following the tractor dust cloud---
      Insects I never even knew
           existed plus gnats of 
all sizes...flies...bugs...horse flies...
     helicopter-like-big-flies...and
unnamed vicious flyers...
             and hoverers...

all seeking my eyes, ears, and nose!
      all buzzing different tunes, 
             tones and pitches---
one breed practicing crash dives
                 on my neck!

Yes, there I was, merely a tiny, hot
      insignificant and unimportant
speck...as seen from the cosmos...

on a big orange Case tractor, with
     wide front wheels, and a
mind of its own, almost like a 
     feisty horse

My trusty and loved companion 
     was the water bag bought 
          at Barry Hardware
for $3.75 and it was hanging there 
     on the Power-Take-Off,                   
             three-fourths
      empty, caked with mud
and the water remaining was hot---
          you could count on it---
       
       the windmill was a quarter
mile off and only vaguely seen thru
           the rising heat waves...

and it was not turning at all
      there being not a wisp of a
              breeze

Way on the other side of the 
        half section ---barely---
thru the heat waves could be seen
     Dad on his identical orange 
          Case Wheatland tractor...

At maybe 3 mph it took forever 
     to do a "round," and meet
and see---Who had the freshest
               water bag...?

He'd have a good John Ruskin
     all lit up, making his day 
          fun...but I was only 
       fifteen, and aging too slowly
for fun stuff

How did I wind up, out there---working...
     when many of my peers were
                    in town
catching rays at the pool...
               or watching
       a good "Tarzan" or "Lash La Rue"
movie at the Lyceum?

I think it was because people had to
      WORK in those simpler times
          and if you got something
              you had to earn it.

Good days in the grand old USA!
******************
Mil
1JULY 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment