Wednesday, October 30, 2013

"OUR MICHELIN FLAT TIRE"



Alas, alas...
The worst thing happened---
My Beloved got a nail
In her Michelin---
A three hundred dollar tire
I'll bet.

She stayed out of alleys
With their nails and screws
And old screw drivers, but
She got a nail...out on the street!

(Yes, we had a flat once
With a five inch screw-driver,
Broken off,
Sticking into the tire...)


We took her Michelin
To the Acme Tire Co.
Over here, and they
Surprised me.
They fixed it!
Usually they say...
"Uh sorry, we must sell you
A new tire."

But they fixed it.

I told them: it should cost
Three dollars
Jake always charged...
Three dollars
At O.K. Rubber Welders
Down there in Clovis
At Grand and Connelly
In the forties
During WWII...
When "Hoss" fixed tires!.

They said: "Sorry, Pal,
These little rubber plugs
Are pricey,
And WWII is over,
Doncha know?"

"And by the way,
Who was this Jake?"
"Best tire man around
In the whole state,"
I said.

"It'll be thirty-one dollars---
Want to pay it out
By the month?"

"I'll pay cash,
But Pal---
Forget the tip!"

"Next time,
I'll drive to Clovis
On my spare!"

"Is Jake still there?"
He said.

"No, but his
son is!"


********30******
BY MIL
10/29/13








Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment