Tuesday, October 15, 2013

BOB'S RESPONSE TO "GO-TO" COFFEE POT


***************************************
"I GET MY ALLSUP'S FOR A QUARTER!"
***************************************
by "Country Boy Bob",  guest writer



About 15-20 years ago, I quit drinking coffee------cold turkey.    The stuff gave me acid reflux and I just had to stop.   For many years the only coffee that I would drink was when I would go fishing.   Oh, it was so good on those early cool mornings out by the lake when you would build a fire and make coffee.   I would use a tin can or a little pan....fill it with water and dump some coffee in the water and heat it until it boiled.    Wow,  give it a few minutes for the grounds to settle-----now that was coffee.   It would make the hair stand up on your chest and it would last all day.   I think that someone told me if you would put a few egg shells in that coffee while it was heating that the grounds would settle immediately.   Don’t know if it worked, never tried it-----actually I kinda enjoyed chomping on a few of those grounds.  
 
Talking about your 5 cent Whataburger cup reminds me of my 25-cent Allsup's cup.  I have about 3 of those cups that I bought at garage sales.  They are about 25-30 years old and they will still honor them.   
A few years ago I started riding my bike to Allsup's every morning and get a cup of cappuccino.   Cappuccino is a little sweet so I mix it with coffee.   All the girls at Allsups know me and I am sure that they chuckle about that old tight -wad with the 25 cent cup.   They don’t even have a 25 cent refill button.   If they did it correctly, they would have to fill a coupon for the difference between regular price, but that takes a lot of time.   They have a 25 cent button for ice-----so they just ring it up as ice and tell the new employees to do so and get that old man out of here.  
Ain’t getting old fun.   If I ever spend more than a quarter at Allsup's the girls faint and razz me:  “Are you going to spend more that a quarter?”  When I leave, since I am riding my bicycle, when I get out in the parking lot, I look around to see if anyone has dropped a couple pennies.  Yea, I always pick them up.  One day I found a quarter and a dime and a penny-----whoa.....paid for my cappuccino and made a profit! ! ! !
 
But I have started drinking coffee again---Folgers, decaf, dark roast-----now more acid reflux.   Just enjoy it as you suggested.   Really enjoyed your coffee post.  Can’t imagine anyone coming up with so many details---but you did it.   Have a great week,     Bob
 
 -----30-----
for MIL'S
Bobby Joe Snipes
guest writer

3 comments:

  1. It is fact that we should use a good quality metallic coffee pots as metallic pots don't react with the coffee to make it poisonous.

    Thanks
    Finn Felton

    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for one of these cups for years to give as a gift to my grandpa! He used the same cup EVERY DAY for 25+ years until the decals wore off completely and the inside was stained solid black. Eventually my grandmother forced him to part ways with the cup and he never loved another the same.. If anyone has an extra please comment and I will make a great offer! If you are still making Allsups pay up for a claim they still honor from 30 years ago by all means keep sticking it to the man!
    Thanks,
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daddy had the same cup! The .25 eventually rubbed off after so many years. The manager took a black marker and wrote .25 refill. And wrote his name on it. We have been looking for another original cup everywhere! Thank you for sharing your story ❤

    ReplyDelete