Friday, October 11, 2013

FUN MEMORIES ABOUT OLD CHS FRIENDS

CLOVIS HIGH SCHOOL (circa 1942)


by Dr. R. Gene Walker
CHS '51
Guest Writer

"CRUTCH TIME---" BILL DUG US OUT!

"While in CHS, Phyllis and I had "parked" (in
my 1938 Dodge) one Sat. night on a country
road north of Clovis. It was actually on
East 21st Street and it was about the location
of my present dental office. There were
no buildings at that time except for an
occasional farm house.

It had been raining and the roads were muddy.
Our car got stuck when we restarted the car.
Fortunately, Bill Hale, who lived in the area,
drove by in his pickup and "dug" us out.
Funny part....I was trying to dig us out with
my crutch.. I had broken my knee cap playing
for the Wildcats and my right leg was in a cast.
Thanks to Bill for helping the "handicapped".

CAUGHT SPEEDING BY TEDDY

Speaking of Bill Hale.... A few years ago Bill
and Sue were in Clovis visiting relatives and friends.
Bill had a new sports car and was by himself and
wanted to test it's speed on the Pleasant Hill highway.
He was stopped by a Curry County deputy sheriff.
When Bill's driver's license was checked, the officer
said, "Bill, you don't recognize me, but I am Teddy
Blair..one of your Class of '51 classmates...Bill, you
know better than to drive this fast. You could kill
someone or even yourself. The fine should be $75.
..I am going to give you a warning....but I want
something in return...When you are in church next
Sunday, put an extra $75 in the collection.... Let
God guide you in your everyday decisions.. Bill
later told me he did exactly as Teddy asked him.
Bill and Sue are very active in their Amarillo church.

"CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT?"

Teddy Blair made a talk at our Rotary Club a few
years ago and told us about his experiences with
the Curry County Sheriff's Dept... He told us that
almost weekly that he transported prisoners from our
County jail to the Santa Fe state prison... Teddy
was a very active Christian. He loved to sing
Christian songs, but told us he had a horrible
voice and was rarely on "key", but he loved to
sing these songs....He would sing Christian songs
LOUDLY each time he took the prisoners
to Santa Fe...The prisoners asked him NOT to sing
the songs...Could they just listen to the radio?"

His comment.." If you loved the Lord and followed
HIS example, you would not be the car with me today.
Now, you will have to listen to me "witness" my love
for the Lord, and I hope and pray that you will find God
in your life and you will have good health and happiness."

By the way, Teddy was not easy to recognize. He
was tall, thin, and handsome in high school.
At Rotary Club he weighed over 250 lbs..had
a heavy white beard and thick white hair. He wore
glasses. He was the picture of "Santa Claus" and
his belly "shook when he laughed" and he was
continually laughing... What a wonderful Christian man!!
We'll miss him and so many CHS Class of "51 members!!


WILDCAT FIELD
(both photos courtesy Robert Stebbins)

----30----
FOR MIL'S PLACE
By R. Gene Walker, D.D.S
CHS Class '51

No comments:

Post a Comment