Sunday, November 4, 2012

"THINGS MY DADDY TAUGHT ME"



By Noel Dougherty

Daddy came a riding across my mind awhile ago,
Some things he'd taught came with him, They were things
    I'd ought to know.

He taught me things, but I forget what he really
    told me,
 But stuff comes back as years go by and then it really
    holds me.
    
Daddy taught me lots of things, some that I remember,
Like summer comes in June time, and Christmas in December.
   
He taught me how to set a horse, how to catch and mount
    'em;
He taught me how to rope a cow, and how to feed and count
    'em.

He taught me that a man's as good, as what he tells his
   neighbor,
And what he's got's not worth much, if not gained by
   honest labor.
    
He taught me that the North Star is just beyond the
   dipper,
And if the pancake's done on one side, then you need
   to flip 'er.

He taught don't leave the fire too long, when you have
   bacon frying,
That lots of things may come your way but all aren't
   worth the trying.

He taught me to build the fences straight and set the
    corners deep,
Do what you can to save a buck, but don't do nothing
    cheap.

He taught me to leave things as good, or better than
    I found 'em,
And help folks to feel good by pitting lots of care
    around 'em.
    
He taught me to live my life for the very best that's
    in it,
'Cause it's like a race you're running and that's the
    only way to win it.
    
My daddy comes a riding through my memories...now and then!

 ************************
By Noel Dougherty
CHS Class of '51
*************************

(FROM MIL) I first met Noel in the seventh grade at Junior High. We were desk mates at the same table in seventh grade Plane Geometry. I liked him immediately because he was a quiet, pleasant, sharp, unassuming kid who minded his own business, had nothing to prove, and just did his own thing. He was a "farm kid" I knew the first day because they always had their lunch pails, while most of us went home. There was no school cafeteria.

I was a "farm kid" of sorts myself, living in town, and eventually drove a tractor, rode a combine, and drove a wheat truck, so Noel and I hit it off just fine. Our paths parted after graduation in May of 1951.

Noel passed away in 2008, as the result of an accident.  His brother, Wylie, Class of '53, has given us the following memorial.
*******************************************************

ERIN NOEL DOUGHERTY
Born 8/3/1933
Died 9/11/2008

Born the 2nd son and 4th child of the Archie and Margaret Dougherty family.  Of all the kids, Noel was the cowboy, growing up and after marrying Juandell Wade he worked a ranch near Nara Visa.  Then to a family farm near Ranchvale where he farmed, ranched and raised their 4 kids, 2 boys and 2 girls.  He and Juandell had been married for 53 years two months before his death.
He worked for the NM Cattle Sanitary Board as a brand inspector, his first crack as a lawman.  Later elected to two terms as Sheriff of Curry County.
The picture above was taken as Noel and Brother Wylie climbed Baldy near Sapello, Rociada and El Porvenir during his Mother’s 85th birthday party.  The last time Wylie saw Noel was in August of 2008, Noel was having bouts of too hot, then too cold.  As Noel lay in his chaise lounge he recited the poem below to Wylie, his Daughter Sue, her husband Steve Jolliff and Kailey, Sue’s daughter.  As he drifted in and out of being awake, he continued reciting the poem, clear that it meant a lot to him.
We all felt blessed that he shared this with us and are glad to share it through Mil’s Place.
Wylie Dougherty 

No comments:

Post a Comment