Thursday, November 29, 2012

A CHRISTMAS REMEMBERED



by Richard Drake, Guest Writer

**************************************
DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER!
**************************************
When our kids were very small,  we delayed putting up the family tree until just before Christmas day.  Once the tree up fully decorated the kids would become more excited each year.  To preserve Marcia’s sanity a delay in the process was appreciated.
One Saturday afternoon a couple days before Christmas it came time to go buy a tree.  We lived on top of Lookout Mountain outside of Denver and that year none of the trees on our property would do the job.  I was taking care of the kids that day so I decided to drive into Denver and pick out a tree.  As I remember the kids were seven, five and two years old.  I had been cutting logs that morning and did not want to clean up before the trip.  I looked like a mountain man in my very dirty work clothes and scuffed up work boots, the kids had been out playing in the snow and mud so they did not have on their Sunday finery.  Bret, our youngest had on coveralls handed down from his sisters.  The snaps in the legs and crotch no longer would stay fastened for more than a few minutes.  The legs would flair out so it looked like he was wearing a skirt.
I got them into my pickup for the drive off of the mountain.  The truck was a 1951 red Ford with rusted fenders and corroded bumpers.  The kids had named it the “Red Mariah” but I don’t recall why that name.  So off we went to get a tree in that old beat up truck with a cracked windshield and everyone with their dirty clothes full of holes.
At the tree lot I left the kids in the truck, eagerly watching the process.  Bret, the smallest with his runny nose pressed against the side window to get a better view.  After several minutes, I found what appeared be the perfect tree.  I dragged it close to the truck to give the little ones a better view and seeking their approval.  It was after all a family affair.  Now that made the kids even more excited.
 I asked what the price was for the tree and was told it was four dollars.  Since it was nearing Christmas day, prices were being discounted.  I had brought our check book intending to pay in that manner since I only had two dollars in cash on me.  I jokingly said I’ll give you two dollars cash or I will have to write you a check. The salesman took a long look at the rag muffin looking children, my clothes, and the red truck and he got this funny look on his face.  Another look at Bret’s smiling face pressed to the window and you could see the man wilt.  He quickly said there was no charge and Merry Christmas.  I quickly realized that he had made an incorrect judgment about my ability to pay.  I tried to get him to let me pay but to no avail.  
So off we went to take the tree to Mother, Marcia, with a good story to tell.


Merry Christmas

----30----
For Mil's Place
by Richard Drake
CHS Class '53

No comments:

Post a Comment