Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"MY" HALLOWEEN



“MY” HALLOWEEN

by Elizabeth Sieren
10/18/03

Does God think up special names
for every day
As do humans in their hyper-creative
way?
Or is every day an exceptional day
for Him
To relish, rejoice in and appreciate
to the brim?

Columbus, Presidents, Veterans,
Thanksgiving Day,
Nu merous names for noteworthy
days on display,
Patriotism, reverence, gratitude,
honor-all
Undeniably good nouns, good
traits, good protocol.

Does God care for whom or what
a day is named?
Is Halloween a day for Him to
feel ashamed?
Or is He amused at all the costumes
and masks
Some wear on this day which asks
Do ghosts, witches and goblins really
exist?
I confess that I just really can’t
resist
The colorful decorations, skeletons
too,
Even the scary stories ending with
that BOO!

I hope that I don’t offend God with
my smiling  ghost
Or my Jack Prelutsky poems I read
the most
‘Cause Thanksgiving’s coming up
pretty soon
And I’ll be ready to shift gears
and change my tune.

But for now, the season’s right for
pumpkins bright,
Scarecrows, witches, spiders, black
bats taking flight.
Happy children-imagination-all in fun,
One spook-filled night, and then it’s over and
…..till next Halloween!

Liz Sieren is the wife of John Sieren, CHS class of '51

No comments:

Post a Comment