Friday, February 9, 2018

THE DESIGNATED "BEAN SORTER"




I was designated as
     "The official bean sorter,"
and my mind went back over
      the decades

A thousand times on cold 
      winter nights I have watched 
my dear mother sort 
       pintos---
(farm folks  called them 
        "red beans...") and
nine hundred times I have asked
       her: "Why do you discard
half beans?"

She said: "My mama always did."

I told Bobby Joe 'bout this, and
      he said: "Exact same thing
happened to me at my house...
     when I was a little kid!"

Now then, the years have passed
      and we little kids 
are all "growed..." and
      I myself have been given 
the honor of being---for 
      our household: "The
Designated Bean Sorter!"
      on cold winter nights...

But...

It is a new day
      and times are hard
so I keep the half beans---
      no disrespect intended
and
      I have hardly ever 
found a rock, but

There have been a few 
    "Ouch, Ouch...."
-------------
MIL
2/08/18

No comments:

Post a Comment