Thursday, February 22, 2018

MY COMPANION....THE LONESOME DOVE


MY COMPANION...THE LONESOME DOVE
"IT'S A BIRD...A PLANE...A BIG GRAY CHICKEN...?"
*******************************
In these cold, austere, sort of unfriendly-
     feeling days of waning winter...
         with early spring, yet to come
I am not alone...
     there is a friend---
         a "big" one

here outside my writing place, on the 
     bird grain, five feet to 
my left---he comes (every morning) 
     a seemingly big gray 
chicken...at first glance---

Wait!! I think it is a white-winged
          dove!    Yes! it is!

I'll just be sitting here musing...
     or writing...and then
oft a slight thump against the
      pane will announce:
"Your friend has arrived...again."

He must've got his seasons mixed
    and left Patagonia early 
for he is here by himself, tho' he 
    seems to have had some good
stops along the way...for eating
     He sure is FAT!

But as all of God creatures are prone---
     He is cold, oh so cold, (for it
is snowing right now), and lonely
    and wanting warmth, physical
and mental

He sits on the grain, and spies me 
       thru the glass...he is having a 
few bites...all the while his nervous
neck is moving and checking me
out---
he sees me, I think, as
     another fellow creature
with a peaceful heart, tuned in to 
     the small things of life...
and

stretches, spread his feathers out
    as if airing himself...then
draws his neck into his body,
    as if trying to become a 
little-dove-ball...
and

trusting me to have his back, he
   dozes for along time,
still as can be...absorbing warmth
   from somewhere---the window,
the grain, the stucco...

He has found a haven, and comfort,
     and peace...and a feeling of 
safety...just like all God's creatures
    crave, 

as the Creator hovers over 
it all, everywhere at once, Whence
    we all have our being...and 
"It is good."

Later, and the dove and I have both
   dozed (I think)---then
my winter friend,  takes a peck or two
    for the road,
stretches a bit...peeks at me a coupla
    times,  and signals me
     with those beautiful white-trimmed 
          wings...saying ...

"Have a good day, see ya tomorrow."

    ....and he's gone.
*************
MIL

21 FEBRUARY 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment