Tuesday, April 25, 2017

EVERYTHING IS SOMEWHERE




They say
      "nothing
is ever lost---
    it is always
somewhere..."

"and long as it's 
       still
in the house, we'll
    find it," the old 
saw goes...

Now sit down for 
     this one---

I had a favorite 
          CROSS pen
    for years, 
       wrote black gel
ink...nice

Oh, and did I say:
   It was Burgundy
"matte-finish"
       and beautiful,
and had a ...balance
    about it

You could see 
     and read
the dark black writing
           easy

It was
    one of those rare
        possessions that
was a joy forever, 
     and it looked nice
    in my pocket with
 my maroon necktie,

You know---matching stuff...

Three weeks ago...one 
     night I was in 
my Lazy-Boy with my
            feet up
     and watching a re-run
               from the sixties
     of The Virginian
while BE 
      was at choir practice

A lady called for her
     on our landline
and it came at a bad time---
         Doug McClure
     was fixing to plug
this sleezy perp 
     with his .45 Colt...

This lady said: "I need to 
             leave
     my phone number,"

"BANG BANG BANG" 
       he got the perp,
as I scribbled the number...
      and hung up 
   quick-like

Now the next day
     the spiral notebook
   with my burgundy 
        pen stuck in it---
was nowhere to be 
    found...

We searched 
     everywhere, even
   the big pockets 
of my writing jacket,
       and the wastebasket
   Gone, Gone, Gone....

I had saved up 
     a few bucks...and even
called Fahrney's, 
     back east, to replace 
 this favorite pen...

But ah, Cross doesn't make
     that model and color,
   anymore

Just proves my "new saw"
    that 
 "Everything Is Nowhere."

Gone.

Last night
     as I was unwrapping a 
small hard Tootsie Roll
              left-over
       from Halloween,
    it slipped and bounced
right under 
             my Lazy-Boy!

BE helpfully grabbed our 
    handy Picker-Upper
(from Amazon) 
       and grappled-out
the lint-covered Tootsie...

Then (SURPRISE)
          came the lost spiral
   notebook with the phone
          number with the 
      lady's name...

And hallelujah...
        my BURGUNDY CROSS!

(How had we missed it?)

Just goes to show:
      "Everything Is Somewhere."

****************
BY MIL
24 APRIL 17








No comments:

Post a Comment