Monday, April 17, 2017

AN OLD COWHAND GIVES ADVICE



The "old cowhand" speaks:
----------------------

Th' other day, after I had sold some eggs, I was settin'
in Moe's Bar,  in Pine Flats, the onliest village
and bar down in the Magdalenas, SW of Socorro, NM.

I was having a well-earned cerveza, and rest from
runnin' my little 160 acre homestead---a big job---
even with my few cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, and 
chickens.... trying to eke out a living...just like all 
critters, human and otherwise....yes...a living...

Particularly was it hard, since Pearl, my dear life's 
companion passed on last year.

I was thinking back on my past...and enjoying my 
beer.

Someone awhile back said to me: "You look beat!
I bet you have had a hard life." I gave them my
stock retort: "Can't complain."

Truth is, my friend, the life of a cowboy is not for
sissies. It is not for most people. First of all, you
must be a first rate horseman, and know what the
horse is thinking---even before he thinks it!

If you are not "at home in the saddle," and maybe
not born a bit bow-legged, then cowboying is NOT 
for you. You can't be hoity-toity or picky---hermano,
you gotta ROUGH IT---ALL THE WAY!"

You need to be a good roper, a good pistol and rifle
shot, be ready to endure hardships, be a vet to cattle,
butcher animals of all kinds, and even doctor yourself 
at times.

I've slept under the stars---saddle as a pillow, covered
with a saddle blanket, with rattlers coiled next to me
for warmth.

I've slept in warm hay in cozy barns on winter nights,
with coyotes howling outside .

The best place to sleep is a in a bunkhouse with a lit
wood stove, under quilts with your .45 Colt handy
to pop big pesky rats, rather than tolerate 'em!

I've lived in line shacks during winters for months,
with nothing to eat but venison and pintos. But
the peace and silence and beauty of it all...made
it worthwhile.

I have shot deer for food at incredible distances
over open .32 Winchester sights.  I had to---if I
wanted to eat.

Then there are  the years of serous cattle-punching
for the ranchers, when I was young---roping,
branding, dipping, de-horning, making steers....
more cattle than I could ever count.

Every person has to do something unless they're
on food stamps. Being a productive person is 
essential to good self-esteem.

Even now at my age, I still hire out to big ranches
for cattle drives...or maybe some roping and branding
type events.  Mostly I hang out at my little place and
sit in my rocking chair on the front porch,,, and just
rock...sure gets lonesome without Pearl...and she was
a good cook...

I love my nice little log cabin, deep in the Magdalenas.
It has a nice gun rack I built---with a scarred-up 870
pump (which I use for the dozens of quail coveys
around), my bolt- action Marlin .22, and several rifles.
I'd be target practicing all the time, but nowadays 
ammo is expensive, scarce, and a long ways to town,
in my old '72 Chevy truck, to buy more...

Yes, sometimes someone says: "You're looking old
and wrinkled and tard..." and I reply---"Well
actually wimmin' have chased me my whole life and
it has been worse lately...I have developed character 
lines and ripened into a rather attractive fellow! Don't 
you think?"

People say (evidently I look wise to them), "do you,
with all your vast experience in life, have any ADVICE
for the younger folks?"

"In life, play the hand you're dealt, In cards you'll get 
good hands...and bad .. so also in life."

"Success depends on a whole lot of hard work,
some skill, lots of gumption...and a whole lotta
luck."
*******************
BY MIL
(on being inspired by FILLSON'S photo)
11/29/16


No comments:

Post a Comment