Wednesday, December 14, 2016

"WE MOVED TO CLOVIS ON PEARL HARBOR SUNDAY"





WE MOVED TO CLOVIS ON PEARL HARBOR SUNDAY"
    By  Dr. Albin Covington
    CHS '51



"I reminder that fateful day well."

Our president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, on  December 8,
asked  a joint session of congress for a declaration of
war, speaking these famous words: "A day that shall live
in INFAMY..."

The horror of that day, in the surprise attack that killed over
2400 Americans, is indeed a day that we will never forget.

I was eight years old at that time. I had no idea what Japan 
was, nor where Pearl Harbor was. But I do remember that day!

We learned of Pearl Harbor over our car radio as we
drove from Sudan, Texas to live in our next home in Clovis,
New Mexico. We were residents of Sudan for only a short 
time as we made the change from Mertzon,Texas  to Clovis.

Dad has transferred to Clovis to work on the "bridge gang,
in that area for AT&SF.  He had finally found a house for us
to live in at our new town.

All eight of us had been living for a short time in a three-room
house, and now we moved into a nice house on Thornton 
Street. I had never seen indoor plumbing before. In fact, Mom
got all over me for standing in the bathroom flushing the 
commode over and over just to watch the water, as it swirled!

Our "new" abode had a basement and we five boys slept
down there and life was so much better!

But there was another--special thing--that I remember. I had
never remembered having a friend except for my three older
brothers and one younger one. (I didn't really think so at that
time, for Ross was always chasing me and hitting me.) Now
I think the world of my brothers.

But there is another person who befriended me. He lived 
down Thornton a ways toward school at La Casita.

It was Arthur Snipes. He befriended me. We used to walk
to school together. He was the first real friend I ever had
outside of my family.
****************
FOR MIL'S PLACE
by Dr, Albin Covington
CHS '51





No comments:

Post a Comment