Monday, December 26, 2016

TRUFFLES





"TRUFFLES"


((I'd heard of "truffles" somewhere along the
way...and I guess, paying little attention to 
their mention, I thought "Well, I've never hunted
them...mostly it's been bob whites and blues and
once't some Gambel's and prairie chickens....
and of course---pheasants!"

"Guess they are like grouse, ptarmigans, and other
Alaska birds..."truffles..." Hmm, I'll look into it!))

                       TRUFFLES

I'm a simple boy from the cotton country
of that Great Place! West Texas!

They can cook down there and know how
to cure unbelievably-good bacon and sausage.
Their "main sauce," you French, is BUTTER---
except some old-timers like sage on their corn
bread dressing at Thanksgiving.

We left there when I was four and moved to NM,
just ten miles from Texas. Clovis---a fine town!

The first really big joys in life that I remember, were 
the five cent candy bars, mostly made of 
chocolate:

Hersheys, Snickers, Baby Ruths,  O Henrys,
Milky Ways, Black Cow suckers, Bit O' Honeys,
Best Pals, Mounds, Almond Joys, and 
Walnettos!

Somewhere, much later on, there came the
chocolate candies which came in boxes like 
Whitman's and collections too numerous and
expensive to name...

Chocolate covered cherries were unusual
and one always wondered how they put those
things together so nicely....but they were messy
when bitten-into!

Now one day, a dear friend of me and BE, sent
us each a fancy little box with a two-word
French name...and it had "truffles" written on
it. There were two big ones in the box.

Ah, truffles are candy!

They were almost as big as golf balls, I thought.

You bit into one and ate and ate the creamy
chocolate filling (and it didn't "run") which was
"decadent," as they love to say it! I mean---these
were  big---compared to some I ate later---which
were much smaller.

BE and I finally found out where to buy these big
ones, but the gift-lady did not remember the
name of the truffles!

We will head out to Model Pharmacy, almost to
downtown, and see about a BIG BOX FULL...and
they may run $2.00 each, per truffle---who knows?

No prob---we are not going to Branson and 
spending the big bucks.

Also, Model is known far and wide to the-lunch-
crowd for its great sandwiches!
***************
BY MIL
9/17/16

AND THE REST OF THE STORY.....12/26/16

Sit down, my dear reader for this one!  Christmas gift 
opening occurred at our house two days ago.  But 
before that...

My son was here and had to make a long run downtown,
was passing the Model Pharmacy, and had heard of my
desire for some REAL, GENUINE truffles!

He stopped, went in, and bought me a DOZEN!  They are
made by Le Grand.  The lady at the counter will load you
a box of two, four, or six.  A very attractive real chocolatier
box!

Yes, two boxes he gave me!  Hand packed.  Choice of 
truffles from counter:  $3.50 each.

Mil





No comments:

Post a Comment