Wednesday, December 14, 2016

THE SCARY BASEBALL PITCHER FROM CHS '50



IN MEMORIUM, Cameron Mactavish 
                  1932-2016

   The Clovis "Boys of Summer"
*******************************

That spring afternoon in 1947, at the chicken
wire backstop at the corner of Reid and Tenth 
Streets, we were "old enough" and trying to 
play real hardball!

Art and Bob Snipes and I and one or two others
had gone to the old lake bed for wire and
2X4's; also houses galore were being built
all around the neighborhood at that time; they
in turn had lumber scrap piles, that somehow
got filled with long two-bys! Fair game for us 
kids...needing a ball diamond backstop!

Rule One: You couldn't be forever chasing 
missed balls and our "hind-catchers" were 
generally either "chicken" or inexperienced 
when it came to catching HOT pitchers---some 
of whom could throw mean curve balls and 
more terrible (to kids)---faster fastballs!

That is why I, at the tender age of thirteen found
myself flat on the ground by home plate...dirt in
my mouth...I had barely ducked, I thought, a
curve ball headed straight for my head...I mean
right at me..and for a curve it was moving!

This was my first real experience with real 
hard-ball, with real pitchers...for you see, there
were some guys in our class (and the Class of
'50) who were richly endowed athletically...and
THEY COULD "THOW!"

They had radar too, and if anything like a 
baseball field with backstop showed up in the 
NW quadrant of Clovis---they'd be there---
with real Clovis Pioneer baseballs---no friction-
tape-covered-balls for them..which were all we
had! (They were likely Bell Park shaggers.)

Cecil and Bruce Davis were two ('50 and '51)
CHS friends of ours who were very talented
pitchers.

Cameron Mactavish, CHS '50, was another. He
lived, I think, up in the WWII "Santa Fe Heights"
subdivision, north of us four or five blocks, at
Thornton and Fourteenth Streets.

Cameron, as he appeared to us younger guys,
was hard as nails..he was a tough wiry kid. He
wasn't the type to sit in the shade on a summer's
day, and shoot marbles, or tell ghost stories, or
play mumblety-peg---I mean that boy was all
business...and could he pitch!

In fact, it was his curve ball that had me flat on
the ground that day, in front of the backstop...
not fifteen feet from the intersection. 

Have you ever tried to hit a real pitcher throwing
those hard balls right at you? They say being a
"good batter" in baseball is the hardest single
feat in all sports. You must have no fear of the
ball and you need instant reflexes...quickness.

It was the day I realized that baseball was not my
sport, though I was a mean shortstop with good
hands. Batting was incredibly tough.

I don't remember much about Cameron in High
School---he was a year ahead and the boys of '51
had their own fish to fry. But I always admired him
as one of the toughest kids I knew...and he has
crossed my mind now and then, through the years.

Cameron Mactavish...Clovis High School 1950...
passed away last week. I just heard from Vernoy
Willis (CHS '50). He was one of us boys  that 
grew up in the finest of American towns...along
with us on the journey...and he is gone..

I remember him fondly, tho' we were not close
buddies. I don't know how his life turned out
but he was okay to us young "boys of summer."

"Therefore, never send to know for whom the 
bell tolls...it tolls for thee." ...John Donne, 1620

**************
MIL
10/04/16



No comments:

Post a Comment