Friday, October 21, 2016

THAT OLD, FRAYED MUSTARD-COLORED SPORT COAT

MY FIRST ONE...

                        CLOVIS JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL


There was, I reckon, along about the spring
    of 1948, just east of Clovis Junior High,
maybe 100 feet and on the blacktop---
    a very popular little cafe, called I think.
"Johnny's Drive In."

Kids attending the school in those days had
     no cafeteria at the school; thus you rode
your bike home for lunch, or sat in the 
     bleachers at Junior High Gym, and had
a sandwich and an apple, on stormy days...

Now then, as you may guess---there were 
    some kids who always had money...and they 
let on that the burgers at Johnny"s were "to die 
    for.!"

No, I never had but one...it was on that fateful 
    late spring day in 1948...and thereby hangs 
the tale of the mustard-colored sport coat!

Here's how it all went down, as I attempt to
     recover the story from the mists of time...

After school that day, for some reason, a good
     friend and I (was the "friend" Jack Murphy?)
 sat at the counter, on stools, at Johnny's
     drinking a coke...it was a warm afternoon...

We all knew Johnny, and he himself walked up 
     to us...and surprised us with: "How'd you
boys, like to work an hour or so for a free burger
     and a chocolate shake?"

We 'bout fell off our stools, and said with humor:
     "When do we start?" 

"Right now...my old white garage back there 
     behind the cafe... needs to be cleaned 
out, swept good and proper, and a stack of debris
    piled up to be carted off."

We tackled it...with vigor...all the while sneezing
     from the dust...and salivating from thoughts
of the hamburgers.

Oh, there was detritus galore back there...for 
     awhile I couldn't even spot Murphy, in the
murk...we had to check with Johnny coupla 
    times, on items...

Now, the times were hard...and I had never 
     owned a  sport coat...and I was about fourteen.

And there, hanging on a ten penny nail, on
     the south wall (and visualize it bathed in a 
miraculous golden light) was a beautiful (to me)
     mustard-colored sport coat, with years of 
dust settled on. it..

Glory..ah..glory..ah!!! (He said: "Get rid of stuff.")

I tried it on (sneeze, sneeze)---a little big! Sleeves.
     frayed, moth eaten, and a bit long!

I nearly ran up to the cafe. "Johnny, there is an
     old moth-eaten (I was showing acting skills
that would be evident later in school plays)
     sport coat, a' hangin' on a nail in your garage:
think I could take it home?"

"I'd be happy never to see it again," he laughed!

Murphy and I got our burgers and shakes...and
     Mother about flipped out when I got home
with that dirty, dusty, sport coat..."Er, Mom, reckon
     we could get this dry-cleaned? For me?"

Seems like we shortened the frayed sleeve edges
     and maybe fixed some moth holes...and I
know I wore that mustard-colored sport coat, 
     my very first, with a necktie, to the Boys' 
Debating Club banquet, held at El Monterrey.
     a year later. in the spring of 1949.

Johnny was okay.
*****************
BY MIL
10/19/16






No comments:

Post a Comment