Friday, October 21, 2016

AN AFFINITY FOR COFFEE MUGS


"UM....WELL.....SO I COLLECT 'EM.....IS THAT BAD?"



The standard line to make the above question
a joke, is: "Ah, come with me to my attic---I
have twelve hundred on shelves!" (Not so.)

Yes, if I am quirky like pundits say all people 
are, I reckon it is my penchant for coffee mugs.

You know, BE thinks we have enough.

But guess what. that day, maybe twenty years
ago, when good old Baldridge Hardware was
still open, down on Indian School Road---I was
in there buying some faucet "warshers" and other
man-stuff, when I spotted the blue coffee cup
pictured above...cool white designs of various 
kinds were carved into the slick blue finish.

I stifled myself as best I could but still walked out
of there with four! They are a neat medium size.

BR cottoned onto those blue ones and they are
now her favorites. I like 'em too.

My most-favorite cups are the "NICKEL COFFEE
CUPS" sold by WHATABURGER in the 80's. There
was one about a block from our office (during my
second career) over on Lomas. Memory says you
paid 80 cents for coffee in one of those cups,
pictured above, and thereafter for life you could
pay a nickel and give 'em your special cup...and
they would fill it!

Over time, I accumulated six of them. BE dropped 
ONE.  We have five left. I like them because of the
handle...note the finger positions.  It's what I drink
from almost every morning.

Note the third picture above---a real genuine Texas
Longhorn coffee cup in burnt orange. Now THAT
IS a good cup. And being a Texas boy, I've always
liked the Longhorns...and burnt orange.

One day in the late 90's, I was headed down on
Carlisle on some business and realized I'd need
to eat lunch down there somewhere...and 
remembered there was a WHATABURGER 
near Carlisle and Menaul.

Thus I left the house with one of my WB cups.

And went into the place and ordered a burger. I
asked for my FIVE CENT cup to be filled. This
created great distress. The surprised waitress
showed my special WB cup to the manager. 

They jawed awhile and according to her, he 
said; "Charge him a nickel." He had hardly been
born when I bought that cup!

After that I decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

We've got some neat Southwestern dishes with
very colorful mugs...but in micro-waving our food 
or coffee, most of the heat goes into the dish...and
who knows---is lead released?

Couple of decades ago we had some dear friends
from Pennsylvania, who returned east every 
summer. They knew I liked unusual coffee cups
and came back every year with one or two. 

It was fun. They brought some weird mugs to us.
I always paid them, over their objections, as they
were living on a retirement income.

An interesting thing is that they loved stopping
for a day in Newcastle---"the hot dog capital of
 the world," (which he knew of from his youthful
days) where he loaded up good and proper on NC
hot dogs.

He always brought us.a bottle of special Newcastle 
"hot dog" sauce.

Alas, our cup cabinet got full, as well as my little
shelf in "the cozy attic," and we had to quit
collecting coffee cups.

In this great life, it seems, that all things---even
good things---must come to an end. But we've 
got enough...



***************
BY MIL
10/21/16











No comments:

Post a Comment