Wednesday, September 14, 2016

THE STORY OF OUR TOMATOES






"HAVE FAITH...THE LORD WILL DO MIRACLES!"
****************************************************
The neighbors all seemed to appear that day,
way back in circa 2004, when I was out in front
planting tomatoes in my five new Earth Boxes!

I knew how Noah felt when he was building the
Ark.

They gawked, giggled and kidded me--"Howdaya
think any tomatoes are gonna grow in those silly
little boxes, full of dried dirt?" 

And I began to feel a bit provoked (friendly-like), 
and I sez something like: "Be careful, Ole Mil
has forgot more about farming than you guys 
ever knew...don't insult him...for you'll be comin'
over admiring my dozens and dozens of tomatoes
and hinting for some on yore dry hamburgers!"

Then I said: "Read 1 Cornthians 3: 6-8" We are 
planting, watering, but only God can give the 
increase!"

It happened just like I said it would. Now they all
drop by ev'ry year, in amazement...and shamelessly
hinting...for tomatoes...(neighbors can sometimes...
er...be "deplorable..." thanks for that, Hy!)

This has been by far our best growing year, and 
I'll tell you why.

Our son Brian, who loves tomatoes AND
grows then hisself (I know it is "himself.")---
he gave  us an auto-watering system for BOX 
TOMATOES and he rigged it himself. We have 
never had to water...even once...except planting
day....

He also have us a bottle of safe-spray-stuff for
killing manducas quienquemaculatas, those 
hideous tomato worms that BE hates. Tho' they
are not bad hors d'oeuvres, dipped in corn meal
and deep fried for a party! 

We've had ONE this year! Worm...

Now, avoid the mistake of some---they get five
or six boxes through the mail and get carried away
and have cucumbers, peas, beans, watermelons,
and ONE tomato box, with two plants.

No, no, no---doncha see---you can buy any and
all kinds of beautiful veggies, all summer long---good,
fine, healthy, great veggies...even artichokes---
tho' goodness know, I wouldn't know what to do
with one...

BUT, BUT...(sit down and memorize this:) "YOU
CANNOT BUY VINE-RIPENED, RED, JUICY,
FLAVORFUL TOMATOES....that go good with
bacon, eggs, and grits...."

ANYWHERE! JUST GROW 'EM YORESELF!

***********
MIL
9/14/16









No comments:

Post a Comment