Thursday, September 15, 2016

A COAT TALE




It's starting to get cool those September mornings here
on the high mesa, a mere five miles west of the famous
SANDIA Mountains. After all, we live at 5800 feet 
altitude.

The other morning I began to wonder where my much-
loved Duluth olive drab WWII "Operation Market-Garden"
jacket was stored for the summer.We dug it out! Ready
for a brisk autumn. bring it on!

This marvelous light weight, comfy, multiple-pocketed
copy of a wartime paratrooper jacket (from the "Big One"),
was made by the excellent Duluth Trading Co, out
of tough heavy "fire-hose" material, and is several years
old.

It is lined with a nice silky fabric which enables
one to don it rapidly, and has a dozen or so pockets
all over it---some hidden---and is keen for hiking, hunting,
carrying a spare spoon and some Beanie-Weenies, and
leather gloves, big red bandanas...and MEN STUFF!

With that brief intro,  hereby hangs a tale---yes a COAT
TALE!

I am in and out of the house in the cold times, and often
my writing corner misses out on the heat, somehow,
and thus I wear the above jacket a lot during the day.

Last year I decided an  alternate jacket choice, for a
bit of variety was indicated. And I remembered that Duluth
had once offered in their catalog a duplicate Market Garden
jacket in DESERT TAN.

At a bargain $139.95 for a "tall man" size, I just phoned 
the company and tried to order one. "I'm sorry," said the
nice lady, "but it was discontinued and we are sold out."

I was very disappointed.

On a hunch and a long shot, I wrote the company VP of
Marketing and asked if he could run down such a jacket for
me (in Desert Tan) anywhere in the system.

This was about early fall of 2015. No reply.

I forgot all about it.

Then one evening  in June (2016) night near dusk, the
doorbell rang. BE went. Nobody was there, but UPS had
left a hefty package, lying on a lawn chair.

She brought in the box and said: "Did we order something?"
"Not that I remember," I said.

Addressed to me, I opened it. GUESS WHAT?

Folded ever-so-tightly-and-neatly....there was a beautiful 
Duluth Trading Co. WWII replica Tall-Size, desert tan,
Fire Hose Material, many-pocketed Operation Market-Gaden
paratrooper jacket! (With a tan silk lining!)

You could have knocked me over with a feather.

And there was a letter, not folded, but in a plastic sleeve, and
from the Vice President of Marketing.

"We appreciate your business and we strive to give the best
of service at all times. Somehow your letter was lost in a stack
for many months, and I apologize for that.

I have had a special jacket made up for you at the factory, since
we are no longer listing that one in our catalogs. Please accept
it and enjoy---along with our apologies..." 

It was gratis! 

I can't wait to try it out, and soon, when the brisk fall winds come,
and the leaves are scurrying along the curbs...and the aroma
of roasting green chillies is permeating the air!

....and thanks to Duluth Trading, a US company that makes
fine, tough, handsome work clothing...at a really fair price,
and cares about its customers...

So that's my COAT TALE!

***************
BY MIL
9/15/16




No comments:

Post a Comment