Monday, September 5, 2016

FLYING MONKEY BREAD AND TRAMWAY TRAIL CRUNCH










"FLYING MONKEY BREAD" 
 AND  "TRAMWAY TRAIL CRUNCH"


The first thing I always do when going into the
Great Harvest Bread Company,  is
to head for the "free-sample-bread-slice-counter,"
where a nice girl is smiling and waiting to cut you a
generous slice of (five or six choices) of one of their 
tasty breads. A big container of butter  is there for
you to slather your slice!

Last Saturday, however, I was a "guest" of BE, and 
SHE went in, loaded up on breads, and came out
bringing me a slice of "TRAMWAY TRAIL CRUNCH,"
loaded with pecans...and slathered! Marvelous piece!

You see, BE said to me that day, up in the morning,
in her low delightful, musical voice: "This is going to
be a FUN day! You're going on errands with me, and
since they are MY errands, I will drive---you just sit
back and enjoy---put on your dark shades, your olive
army cap, and show off your neat new haircut!"

"Just sing a song or two to me as we drive around 
town---okay?"

(The HAIRCUT  thing: I had been seven months without
a haircut. A friend of mine, we'll call him "Doc," is 
very brilliant and he ascribes this intelligence to his
beautiful long white hair. so I tried it for seven months.

About the fourth month, an old boyhood friend and 
I were visiting and he said: "You need a haircut."
I said: "Well don't sugar-coat it." Anyway, I didn't 
get any smarter, and so finally got it cut. 

I've been freezing ever since. I mean: IT IS SHORT!)

But anyway, there we were out shopping (me staying
in the car) and so I sang an old favorite to her---as we  
drove around, I can sing "nasal" iff'n I need to. 

"Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl;
Nighttime would find me in Rose's Cantina
Music would play and Felina would whirl..."
  .....my best Marty Robbins...

Sunday being a hard church day for BE, at the  piano,
we had loaded up on barbecued ribs and a pint of 
 sauce, and onion rings at Quarters....plus some
egg rolls and orange chicken sticky-white-rice bowls
at Panda...

And now I was sitting there at the bread store, out 
front, and watching a pigeon peck toward me,
unconcernedly. A blackish pigeon, against the
grayish asphalt and I slipped my cell phone---with
camera out of my favorite old faded blue denim 
shirt pocket.

The darn pigeon stayed way back over my shoulder
and I never got a picture of him alone on that vast
parking lot...so I just shot a photo of the bread store!

And sat there thinking how lucky the community is to
have a place like that! It has been here for 12 or 15
years and makes many delightful breads---certain
choices on different days...all published for the
customers selections---on regular emails.

Here is a partial list of their breads----so interesting:

Crusty Italian....NY Caraway Rye...San Francisco 
  Sour dough
Honey Whole Wheat...Green Chili Pine Sourdough...
   Challah...Cinnamon Twist...Somma  County
Apple Cinnamon Swirl...Montana Crunch...Oregon Herb...
    Sourdough Whole Wheat...Farm House...
Sour Cream Blueberry...Tramway Trail Crunch...
    Cranberry Pecan....Sunflower Whole Wheat..
Spanish Arroyo...Bonnie's Whole Grain & Flax...
    and the Saturday bread, which BE came for:

"FLYING MONKEY BREAD!"

Great Harvest also has a nice selection of muffins,
scones, dinner rolls, and have added recently---
SANDWICHES...made with their own excellent 
spreads, and your choice of breads!

They make really tasty sandwiches.

Also they have a nice stock of jellies and jams,
many of which are not  found in grocery stores.

This store is a real credit to our community
and one we never tire of visiting.




Monkey Bread  Enhanced!
(BE didn't think the original Monkey Bread had enough sugar and fat!)

   *********************
    BY MIL
    9/04/16




     Mil             

No comments:

Post a Comment