Monday, June 27, 2016

BREAKFAST WITH A WHITE WING DOVE




Our grain cylinder, outside my writing window,
    hangs one inch from the glass...
The reason is to keep it dry....under the eaves
    during the coming monsoons...
It can melt.

Oft a white wing dove lands on the wrought 
    iron decor
and you hear a "BONK..."

Have you ever seen one from four feet away?
    their gray wings fold close to 
their bodies, and a beautiful strip of white
     shows under each wing

With a smaller strip of blue, under that...

A white wing dove is not, by any means, the
     brightest, most colorful bird ever
created (out of maybe ten thousand), but it's
     simple beauty is amazing....

It's neck is long, exquisitely curved, up to
    its head...it's overall color is a 
medium gray...its eyes are bright and alert
    and it has that jerky nerve system
birds have

Which causes it to, not slowly turn its head,
     but in one movement it looks 
two inches---that way---and three inches this
     way...and it looks between almost 
every bite, and the glances

are aimed at me...for he is a little suspicious
     of the window, my little animals atop
the bookshelf, the light over my writing table,
     and all the strange sights here 
where I write.

(It all amazes me sometimes.)

But the breakfast grain is too tempting for him---
     and so he grabs three beaks-full
and jerkily checks me...two beaks-full...and 
    checks me....ever wary
and uneasy.

I, in turn, surreptitiously as possible, grab
    a spoonful of Cheerios as often as 
I can...though I am more interested in this
    event that is taking place...

Being somewhat of a poet at heart, I often
     muse when I see the Earth's miracles,
and I ponder God's creation:

Was the "Third Day" an eon when much 
   was taking place...
It must have taken time to design it all...
    thousands of species of trees, flowers,
plants, animals...not even counting the 
     beautiful mountains, rivers, springs...

Is the Earth the finale and masterpiece 
    of God's whole creation...with us 
as his eternal  "companions?"

A bonk on the glass-- the dove has turned---
    brings me back to the moment,
and as I forget and reach for my coffee,
    Mr. Dove sees my sudden move...

And he is gone.

Little flecks on the glass, where he burped,
    teach me that doves 
are messy eaters.

*******************
BY MIL
27 June 16
0713 hours






No comments:

Post a Comment