Monday, June 13, 2016

A HEARING AIDS LAMENT




OLD ADAGE: "NEVER WATCH THOSE WHO...
    MAKE YOUR SAUSAGE, LAWS, OR
         HEARING AIDS..."
    *****************************
There must be an awful lot 
     of sweaty, tedious, exacting,
            challenging hard work

And raw material galore, and maybe
     overtime?

Goes into a pair of those little silly
    things that stick in your ear---
        ta help ya hear

"How much are they nowadays,"
      ya say...to the tech...(then sit 
           down on that 
                stool for the bad news...)

And ya know, those guys have been
     sent to school---"DICKER 101..."

YES! They know how to "dicker" prices!

"Well, it depends...iff'n ya want 
     THE VERY BEST, 
            or THE ECONOMY ONES."

"They run from $2800-$6000" 
      the guy says.

(Like when the Chinese shyster held the abacus
    up for Don Knotts to check, in
       "THE SHAKIEST GUN IN THE WEST.")

Try dickering that quote....

"Well, one thing's for sure," I say. 
     "None of those pinto-bean-size
           deals, on a string, that'll
    get lost in my ear, for me!"

"Give me the good-old-fashioned-ones---
     you know, with amplifier 
           over the ear...besides, I've got
    some size thirteen batteries left."

"How much'll that be?" I asked, getting
      set to dicker,

"An' don't forget, I may just run over to
     COSTCO, where they cut deals"
           I remind him, "and compare."

Ah, that Boy had a glass-eye, I know it...
     in his right eye I saw sympathy 
         for an old-timer who was about
  to go on a dog-food-diet...so's to
        just be able to hear...

(And all because BE had become a 
      whisperer in her later years...)

for this man with a heart, said: "It'll
     be XXX an' I'll thow in two
         month's of size thirteen
              batteries!! 

"Glory-ah, Glory-ah !!!"
      Were the angels a' singing
   in heaven!?

We signed up, my second pair.
     They'll be here in a day
          or two..."RUSH..."

Maybe a grand of the cost
    is in that "RUSH Mailing"
        of those heavy things!

I pondered all this mysterious 
   business on the way home...

Hearings aids...$2800-$6000

More'n I made in a year,
     for a few hard years...

Half what our first house cost...

Our first new Chevy was $2700
Out second new Chevy was $3800

Our new '72 Chevy 3/4 Ton Custom
      Camper (still own) was $5000

You could once buy a half section
     of prime cotton or wheat land
           for less than $6000

"Why are hearing aids so "absorbent?"
     as my NY friend used to say.

"The answer my friend, is blowin'
     in the wind...
The answer is blowin' in the wind."
-----------------
BY MIL
6/13/16








No comments:

Post a Comment