Saturday, August 22, 2015

MY MEMORY OF THE CURRY COUNTY JAIL




Vernoy Willis, CHS  '50


MY MEMORY OF THE CURRY COUNTY JAIL
by Vernoy Willis

When I reflect back on growing up in Clovis, I recall the day when
our sheriff took me to the county jail.  It wouldn't have happened
if my family hadn't sold fireworks at our country store, located at
N. Commerce and Prince street.  A 12-year-old boy and fireworks
are a lethal combination.

We were regular members at First Baptist Church, and one Sunday
Temptation got the best of me.  As the church members milled
around outside after services, I sneaked up to third floor and
dropped a lit firecracker into the crowd.  The loud blast may have
scared more h___ out of the people than the pastor's sermon.

The incident was not mentioned as we drove home from church.
Nothing was said during lunch, nor the rest of the day.  I never
heard a word on Monday, and I rode home on the school bus
quite proud of myself.  Obviously I had committed the perfect crime.

As I jumped off the bus, I saw the sheriff's car parked in front of
the store.  He was waiting for me inside.  "Young man," he said,
"We need to take a ride downtown."

We drove silently to Seventh and Main, with me shaking beside him
in the front seat.  He led me into that menacing building and up the
stairs to the top floor.  He walked me down the hall past all the steel
bars, stopping by an empty cell.  "Oh, no," I thought "Is this where
he plans to put me?"

He motioned me to follow him to his office, where he gave me a stern
lecture.  He leaned over and looked me straight in the eye. "I was at
church yesterday," he said.

Finally, we drove back to the store, and I still wonder why I was the
chief suspect.  At least, I proved that us kids at Eugene Fields School
were tougher than nails.


FOR MIL'S PLACE
By Vernoy Willis, guest writer
CHS '50

No comments:

Post a Comment