Thursday, April 16, 2015

OUR BIRDS CAME BACK


"Our birds..."
    the finches, chickadees, nuthatches,
         and plain old sparrows,

and those tiny un-named ones...
    (my wife loves)
         that have orange feather-dos
right on the tops of their little
    heads---

Then---the big plump white-wing doves
    with that beautiful white feather
         strip under each folded wing!
(So carefully and artistically
    placed there, by the Creator...)

Well, "our birds" are strange ones, it
     sometimes seems...they can
          be...unpredictable,
               nervous, jerky, fidgety,
 "a-mind-of-their-own" type birds at times.

When we added the ornate bars to their
   window, where I write and watch
        them daily, I said to the editor---
           (proud of my bird knowledge
                and vast insights into
                     their habits and ways---)

"These birds. I know 'em and I've watched
    'em, they are jumpy about any
        changes around their feeder---
          read that---'anything new!' "

"At least for a week," I said.

I was wrong!  We built the ornate bars over
    the window...

AND THEY CAME...WITH BIRD RELATIVES,
     BIRD FRIENDS AND BIRDS OF THE
            NEIGHBORHOOD!

THEY love the iron...THEY feel the security.

It was the very next day--- they all came back...
    the little birds, the sparrows,
         the doves---all of them

I am watching them now...some sitting on
    the bars...some eating grain...
        and tho' I can't hear thru the
             glass...some seem to
                    be singing.
**************
BY MIL
April 8, 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment