Thursday, April 16, 2015

I SAW THE GLOCKENSPIEL



I saw the Glockenspiel
by Richard Drake, guest writer
In 1974 my company sent me to Munich, Germany on a short assignment to serve in a consulting role to the Messerschmitt (MBB) firm.  My company, Martin Marietta, had teamed with MBB to compete for the European Space Lab Program which was to be part of the International Space Station. I was traveling alone and spoke no German. The TV programs were in German, as were all of the newspapers, so I some trouble filling in my spare time in the off hours.  My main item of entertainment was finding restaurants in which to eat.  I drove into the outlying communities looking for small eateries. I had been told that was where to find good food.  When I found one, I would walk up to the bartender and ask if anyone could speak English. There was always someone who could help me either the owner or one of the patrons.  Fortunately, it was at the height of the cold war and the Germans liked Americans.
One evening I looked out of the window of my hotel and noticed a sign for a small downstairs cafĂ© across the street. Not wanting to drive on the icy streets, I decided to try it. I walked up to the tall young man behind the bar and asked my standard question. As it turned out, he spoke English, as well, if not better than I. I told him I was alone and would like to have dinner.  With a big smile, he asked if I would like to have the table with a “view”. I did not understand the question because we were in basement.  I replied “yes’ and he led me up a short flight of stairs to a small dining area.  He led me to at a table for one and said “enjoy the view”.  Directly in front of me was a table occupied by six of the most beautiful women that I had ever seen in person. I later learned that my hotel was in Schwabing, a part of the Munich area which was the home of the film industry in Europe. The girls were young starlets out on a girl’s night out. Needless to say, the young man received a very large tip. In addition the waiter was a very good conversationalist.  He told me that he vacationed each winter in the States. He kept me supplied with wine.
My hotel was a Holiday Inn.  When planning my trip I had told our booking agent to find me a room at a local Holiday Inn so I knew what kind of accommodations I could expect. My plan was to find a better place to stay once I found my way around and had time to seek advice from the people at MBB. As it turned out that the Holiday Inn was considered to be the luxury hotel in Munich at the time. It had been built for the 1972 Olympics. It had a restaurant, the Yellow Submarine, which was built around a two story aquarium water tank.  Tables sat right against the glass panels through which one could see all of the sea life swimming around.  The big sharks would come right up to the glass and stare at you.  It was scary.
The Christmas season was in full swing.  Next door to my hotel was one of the largest and newest shopping malls in Germany. It had numerous food courts and bars. I loved window shopping and buying gifts for my family to take home with me. I am a great people watcher and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I normally would sit at a table and, when approached by the waiter, I used the little German that I knew “Eine bier, Bitte”. I think it meant “one beer, please”. It always worked. I would sit, enjoy my beer and watch the people as they walked pass. 
On a Saturday I took the subway to downtown Munich to Marienplatz, which is the center of Munich.  I walked all over the place. All of the shops were full of Christmas shoppers so I was able to do a lot of my shopping. On each street corner there were women with what looked like popcorn machines.  They were all shouting “Maronni, Maronni”. I decided to try the Marrroni. It turned out that they were roasted chestnuts.  Delicious. 
As I walked enjoying the view of the old City Hall Bell Tower when the second floor balcony seem to explode with ringing bells.  Brightly painted figurines, jesters, kings and queens on a merry go round. There were knights jousting from horseback, clowns dancing and you name it. On another level above the first one were more of the characters. I just stood there in the falling snow eating my chestnuts. I was mesmerized. After the performance I was told that it would happen again in two hours. I came back for a later performance.
I had stumbled across the Glockenspiel. I had heard of it before but had no idea what it was. Life is always full of pleasant surprises.  All you have to do is walk around and look.


No comments:

Post a Comment