Thursday, April 23, 2015

NEW BEGINNINGS



 by Robert Stebbins, guest writer

************************
..OF CARS AND MEN
************************

Upon seeing our friend Art's after-surgery photograph, it reminded me that his heart is, and always has been, as big as his smile.

    It 's funny....my 1988 Volvo at 237,017 miles also just went through major surgery. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe a one-way trip to the moon is about 239,000 miles.  Well, it turns out that my Volvo 's 4-cylinder engine started to sound like one of those old tractors that you used to drive.  And, Olga, my wife got tired complaining about ugly stuff on the garage floor under my car. 

Well, I finally bit the bullet.  About three weeks ago, I went to my mechanic who had pampered my car since I bought it 27 years ago.  Today, three weeks later, it was released from major surgery.  There was a whole page of stuff on the repair bill, but it is enough to say that it had a warped and cracked cylinder head, needed a valve job, water pump and some other small repairs.  Needless to say, I won't be taking Light Sport Aircraft flying lessons, as the nest egg that I had been saving for that has been depleted.

     But, before deciding whether to buy a new car, lease one, or buy someone else's used car (and its problems), or have the Volvo repaired, I had to look in the mirror. How much longer would I be driving?  Did I want (or need) extended car payments again?  But, the Volvo and I had enjoyed a solid, friendly relationship.  I knew that car with its minor idiosyncrasies that they all have.  But, I knew that it had not been mistreated, never been in a wreck, has not a spot of rust, and has good strong Swedish steel bumpers.  No plastic bumpers or fenders on that car.  In fact, when other motorists see me coming...they give me wide berth.  And, I don't even miss the cup holders that it doesn't have.

    Well, today I drove that baby out of the repair shop and headed for the Interstate.  That engine hummed and responded like it did the day I drove it off of the dock at the Port of Long Beach in 1988.  I could hardly feel that automatic transmission shift.  And, when the turbo kicked in...well, I don't need to tell you or the highway patrol about that. 

    It was hard not to draw a corollary between these "two surgeries".  The Volvo is a little used, but now properly repaired, is running like new. And, Art, with a little wear and tear over the years is now on his way to recovery and a new lease on life.  We can give thanks for those, who under God's guiding hand and in response to our prayers, are able to repair broken bodies and send us home to our loved ones again.

   Art and Carmen have been blessed....with one another....and with this outcome.  I know that all of their friends and CHS classmates extend our best wishes to both of them for continuing happiness and a long life together.  It is time to celebrate with a plate of those New Mexico Flat Enchiladas again.


Art

----30----
Robert Stebbins 
for Mil's Place
4/16/15






No comments:

Post a Comment