Wednesday, February 26, 2014

WHAT'LL IT BE--LEAD OR PAPER?



It seems there are many dangerous things in
this life...not even counting motorcycles!

This danger may not be one to joke about---our
dishware finishes may be full of lead...too many 
parts-per-million for our health, and even more 
perilous for our little children.

Have you taken your dishes to a reputable
lead-scanner lately---you know, one with an
an impossibly long acronym---whose sole 
purpose for existence is to protect us?

Wait 'til you google: "13 INVESTIGATES THE 
LEAD IN YOUR DISHES." You will hope
someone out there in the government is seeing
after us. But you may be disappointed.

Let's go way back: My dear mother bought a set
of bright-colored Fiesta dishes circa 1941. Over 
the years she "raised" a family with those dishes.
(I inherited one little green bowl, from which I
likely ate cereal and listened to KICA before
heading for La Casita school, when I was ten or
eleven.)

My Beloved Wife and I were so tickled-pink over
getting married in 1957 that we selected "TICKLED
PINK" as our dishes! We have a cup and a bowl
left from this set! 

I went back to HSU in Abilene in 1956 for the 
wedding of my dear friends, Ken and Juanell. 
I'll never forget  that their dishes laid out with all 
their gifts, were "DESERT ROSE."

My mother, who in later years acquired Desert
Rose  dishes, one day bequeathed them to us
on the spot, showing us her new solid whites.

Though chipped and scraped, we've liked them
and used them for years. after all they are a
popular long-time classic. We have added and
replaced. (They say: chipped and scratched dishes
may tend to leach more lead.)

All of the above dishes were made before 1970,
after which the word is that more careful testing
and control-of-lead-in-dishes has taken place.

However, since 1970, the world has gone on.
Newly-weds and we older folks have been
acquiring more dishes. It seems to  be a some-
what nebulous subject--- In fact, IS there better
control over lead in our dishes by government...
or not?

Just take us, for example: we had a dear friend
who traveled a lot in the eastern part of the
U.S. She brought me coffee mugs for my
collection from all over---even Newcastle, Pa.
and Boston! Since 1970....

Too, I can't resist Starbuck's colorful, creative,
and unique coffee mugs. I buy them! I even eat 
beans out of fhe bigger ones.

This Christmas my wife bought a partial set of
square white dishes, painted beautifully in one
corner with a bright green-and-red  holly plant---
all kiln-baked-in nicely. Cups and square bowls
came to match, also with holly painted on.

These latter-day dishes since 1970---are they
lead-free, and safe?  Well, you can bone up on 
this one, but  I think the answer is: "No one knows
for sure."

There is some good news: The new "FIESTA"
dishes proudly advertise themselves as being
"lead free," as well as one or two other 
companies' latest products.

This discussion with my wife about dishes
began when she said: "There are the neatest
colored dishes down at the Dollar Store for
a buck apiece. it'd be fun to have a few just
for variety!"

Everything in life seems to have a bane...
and I said: "What about lead in cheap 
dishes?" That started the research on my
iPad.

So I said to my wife today at our delightful 
and regular morning coffee conference, as 
we discussed our dish status: "Honey, there's
really only one answer to this dilemma!"

And she beat me to the punch line:

"Yes, I know," she said, with a smile and a  
cute, joyous twinkle in her blue eyes,

"PAPER PLATES!" she said.

(Women love 'em. And I hate 'em!)

********30*******
BY MIL
02/25/14

Response by Robert Stebbins:

Milburn...I think that every family in Clovis had a set of those Fiesta dishes.  At least, all of my relatives did.  They did chip with hard use, but were pretty durable for families with lots of kids or grand kids.  There must have been a Fiesta dish salesman who traveled around with those guys who were knocking on doors and taking baby pictures.   And, of course speaking of lead and other bad stuff...how about those little painted lead soldiers that we used to play with and chew on when we got "bored"?  Or, the drops of mercury that we used to rub on a dime to make it shiny.  Where was the EPA and how did we survive?  I guess it was by drinking water out of a garden hose, but it makes one wonder.  Was it because we didn't have instant worldwide communication with pundits shouting the dangers and hazards that everything in the world presents?  Oh, we were a sturdy bunch!  We survived growing up on the Great Plains, World War II, the development of atomic weapons, the Cold War, and some other stuff that I won't mention.  But, regardless, as the old cowboy would say, we've had a good ride whatever the future holds.  And for that, we can't complain.  Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment