Tuesday, June 11, 2013

THE ELINOX ODYSSEY



*******************************************************
RESPONSE TO "THE ATTIC DECORATORS"
*******************************************************
by Brian Moore


I liked your recent attic blog. I remember granddad's fishing box from when we went to Eagle Nest. And the grape and orange sodas, so cold from the ice chest, that it hurt to hold one in your hand.

I had an experience recently that reminded me of one of your blogs. I call it the "Elinox Odyssey".

You may remember when I came to plant your tomatoes that I brought my old "Swiss army knife". I told you how I bought it when I was twelve, around 1975. At that time, I had always wanted an authentic Swiss Army knife, but they were just too expensive, out of the price range of a twelve year old.  But one day, when you and I were shopping at Jones' Surplus Barn, I saw that they had a Swiss Army Knife for $3.50! I had that much in my child's wallet, so I promptly bought it.

I knew that at that price point, it had to be a cheap knock-off, but it seemed like a pretty decent knife anyway. In spite of being a cheap imitation, it has proven to be a really good pocket knife.  In fact, I consider it to be my "lucky" pocket knife. 

One of the reasons I consider it lucky is because I've never lost it in 38 years. That knife has been on many camping, backpacking and fishing trips. Also, anytime I'm doing a project or chore around the house, I automatically drop that knife in my pocket, because I always know there is some unforeseen tool that I will need. It always comes in handy, and I was just using it the other day when I was building a gate.

That knife has seen some action, and it has some nicks and dings, but it still works as good as the day I bought it. Even though its a cheap knife, it has proven itself through use and reliability, and I've never worried about losing it, since it was cheap.

I was thinking about this the other day, and realized I didn't even know who made it. I had always just assumed it was a knock-off. I looked at the blade stamp and saw that it's an Elinox. I went on line and started researching authentic Swiss Army Knives. They are made by Victorinox and Wenger. Elinox was made by Victorinox in the seventies and was their bargain priced version.  They are now rare collectibles! So all this time, I HAVE had an authentic Swiss Army Knife and didn't know it!

It is truly a lucky knife.

For Mil's Place
by Brian Moore
6-11-13
****30*****

No comments:

Post a Comment