Sunday, June 30, 2013

THAT PAPER BAG OF FIREWORKS



          *************************
          SELF PRESERVATION?
          *************************
          by Dr. Albin Covington, guest writer
I was driving along and thought of this old Fourth story  and thought I would share it.  It happened either 1965 or 1966. 
We were living in St. Clair, MO.  Just behind our house was a railroad track and beyond that was an open field.  I had purchased a paper bag of fireworks. That evening we went to the back yard to enjoy them.  I could shoot them toward the field.  I sat the sack down beside me.  I had told the children to stay back behind me.   I got busy setting off the fireworks.     Now, I had always thought that I would always put the safety  of my children or any one else ahead of myself.  As I was preparing for the show, I did not realize my son, Chuck, came up behind me.  He wanted to see what fireworks were left in the paper bag.  I should also state that we had given the children "sparklers" to play with.   As Chuck looked into the bag, his sparkler touched the bag.  Needless to say, it ignited.  When I saw that, I took off as fast as I could!  I got about 5steps away before I realized he was still standing by the bag.  I did a quick reversal and grabbed him and ran as fast as I could.  We had one great big bang on that fourth of July!
That evening I learned that often self preservation is a very strong force.  I also learned to be more careful with fireworks and especially around children and sparklers!       
Albin Covington at the Korean Monument

---------30--------
FOR MIL'S
by Dr.Albin Covington,
CHS Class of '51
7/04/13

No comments:

Post a Comment