Thursday, June 27, 2013

FLYING OLD GLORY IN RATON IN 1911


Kruger Flag on Goat Hill, Raton, NM 1911

Old Glory atop Goat Hill, Raton, NM 1911


************************************************
REMEMBER THOSE WHO LOVED OLD GLORY
************************************************
by guest writer, Robert Stebbins

Seems like every year about this time the 4th of July rolls around. It is not Flag Day, but a good day for the red, white, and blue.  It has been happening for a long, long time.  Parades, fireworks, rodeos, hot dogs, ice cream, soda pop, and baseball games all come to mind when remembering a childhood 4th of July. Certainly long before present day backyard barbecued sushi and energy drinks.  And, hot. It was always hot in New Mexico on the 4th of July.

     As we grow older, we still tend to accumulate stuff.  Friends and relatives pass on, and we become the inheritors of old photographs, clippings, and other treasured items.  Some pieces are familiar to us, and others are difficult to identify or trace.  Fortunately, documents and photos support the following story.

     My grandmother's father, Robert, a native of Hanover, Germany, came to the United States in 1869.  After living in Illinois and Nebraska, he eventually found his way to Raton, New Mexico in 1896 "where he had charge of the throttle and steam pipes on the engine in the Santa Fe railroad shops" for four years.  He later reportedly was appointed marshal, and served as street commissioner, sewer inspector, and was elected constable for three different terms.

     As we all know after studying state history, New Mexico was admitted as the 47th state on January 6, 1912.  However, before New Mexico became a state, Robert, on his own initiative on August 23, 1911, planted a 35-foot pole atop Goat Hill in Raton.  A beautiful 9' x 16' American flag made in the United States of America topped the pole.  Robert wrote a postcard to his grandson in Clovis informing him that Old Glory on top of Gote (sic) Hill will not be taken down until the last thread is worn out, and she will be replaced with a new one.

1911 Postcard from Robert Kruger to Grandson


     One of my uncles and two of my cousins and I traveled to Raton on September 27, 1997, to present the flag to the Colfax County Society of Art, History and Archeology  for the Raton Museum. As part of the presentation, the flag first was raised at city hall and now is on permanent display at the museum at 116 South First Street.  The museum contains a lot of interesting items, and you may want to stop by if you are ever in that area.

     Robert died in 1930, three years before I was born.  He made his mark in Raton.  So, more than 100 years later I remember him and his flag.  I am sorry that I never had a chance to meet him, but from all that I know about him, he was my kind of guy.  Enjoy your 4th of July, and always remember those who loved Old Glory.


Kruger Flag Raising, Raton, NM 1997

 -----30-----
for Mil's Place
Robert Stebbins, guest writer

2 comments:

  1. Bob, thank you for sharing this nice story with me.
    I have never known my grandfathers, neither my greatgrandfathers, since they had passed away when I was born.
    I have just mailed you an article from the New Yorker magazine about the the country where we have first met.
    And thanks again for acting as my witness at my wedding !
    All the best for you and Olga, Chris Erdtsieck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob: Good job, as usual. It is great for the reminders but sad that we have to do them so often today. In all my years, I have never been so worried about where our country is heading and the disappearance of our freedom. I really find myself thinking back to my good friends and good times a lot lately. And there you are. Give Olga a hug. Semper Fi - Laura and Dick

    ReplyDelete