Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day 2018.....CHS CLASS OF '51...REMEMBERING GENE WALKER

"We will meet you in the morning by the
     bright river side...when all sorrow
         has drifted away..."
             ...Old Southern Gospel Hymn


          Clovis High School


                     CHS Class of '51



DR. R. GENE WALKER

I didn't really get to know Gene until 
September of 1945 when the La Casita 
and the Eugene Field elementary  
school kids went to Clovis Junior High 
and the seventh grade.

In later years I found out that he and I
were in the Clovis Junior Police 
that met every Saturday morning at
the Sunshine Theater for a movie, ten-
cent popcorn, and a "briefing" on how
to keep a lookout for "perps," and 
also avoid being one. 

We had gray/blue uniform shirts with
shoulder emblems, all bought at
Levine's, and Gene was the 
Chief of the JuniorPolice.

At Junior High, he and Phyllis took 
Spanish 1 from Ms. MacFarland and 
danced the Jarabe Tapatillo in a 
musical at the Junior High gym..

In my mind I can still see the 
class-to-be of '51 graduating from
ninth grade one bright May morning…
marching in from the gym's N.E..
door to the stirring and unforgettable
strains of "POMP and CIRCUMSTANCE."

Gene was there in the school orchestra
playing his cello and looking sharp in
his orchestra suit. I was impressed and
that day was etched on my mind...we 
were young and feeling grown up on
that sunny May day of 1948...and really
beginning to feel like tackling life.

On to high school, where Gene and I were
in Boy's Chorus, Mr. Miller's Chemistry
class, and Spanish Three---taught by one
of our favorite teachers of all...Dora
Russell. We all had Spanish names and
Gene told me a few years ago that his was 
"Rafael," since Ms. Russell said there was
no "Gene" in Spanish. (I had forgotten kids'
Spanish names...)

There were ten class reunions over the 
years and the class owes much to Gene 
and his wife Phyllis (also CHS '51) for their
faithful efforts in planning class events.

After I began writing MIL'S PLACE, Gene
and I were often on e-mail with each other,
with some bit of class news...maybe a loss
of another classmate. ... sadly...

We lost track of a third of the class and he
told me several years ago "I'm afraid there
aren't that many of us left."

An interesting thing occurred early in 2017.
I saw a picture of the Methodist
Church's Men's Bible Class posted on a 
Clovis memorial calendar. It was somewhat
non-denominational, I think, and I wrote 
Gene with some questions about it.

Turned out that he himself had taught that
august class at one time and he sent me 
a packet of his lessons as a matter of 
interest and said: "You can keep these."
They were interesting, well-done, and I 
keep them as a fond memory.

Gene and Phyllis were in Albuquerque 
from time to time over he years and 
some of us CHS '51 "kids" would get 
together for breakfast or lunch at Daily 
Grind or Whole Foods.

He left us in 2017 and it was a big loss
to our beloved Class which graduated
that long-ago day in May, 1951.  Gene 
had spent his life in his dental practice
there in Clovis. He had many friends.

The class had lost a leader.

In fond memory....we will not forget...



----------------

No comments:

Post a Comment