Tuesday, May 22, 2018

"CHORTLE"


The man on TV got my attention.

He said: "When I heard that, it made me
'CHORTLE. ' " 

Now I had run across, or heard that word
before....a few times. And I liked it. 

It was some sort of laugh I thought, and 
it sounded downright cool---kind of down-
home and a bit avuncular---like an older
favorite uncle would do.

Not a loud, showy boisterous "HO HO"or
"AH HAH HAH," or pulling all stops---a
"HAWH HAWH HAWH," making everyone
turn their heads ...and gawk!

Nossir, I figured it was more the laugh of
an old timer who'd "been there" in life,
had seen and heard fun things before,
and so....was rewarding the teller of 
something decently and respectably 
humorous with a well-appointed and well-
crafted polished laugh...tasteful and all...

Anyway, that was my thinking when I went
to Henry II and googled "chortle." I needed
to get all the info I could, as I was somewhat
taken by this word....and concept.

Here's the result: "laugh in a breathy, gleeful
way." And further---"a hearty, happy,
satisfying laugh."

So in planning "my new laugh" which I was
hoping to add to my "laugh-cabulary,"  I
did the only smart thing left---going to my
Beloved Editor (aka known as "B.E,") and
asking: "Do you know anything about 
"chortling?"

Her eyes brightened as she seemed to go
back into the archives of her mind, and
remember something with great fondness.
And sit down for this...

"Ah yes, well do I remember all those years
at our church... we had a beloved deacon
who sat near the front on the right side of the
sanctuary and he loved every word of the 
services."

"Often," she continued, "a preacher or
someone would say something humorous
and as the congregation's laughter was 
diminishing, Dale would then give his own
stamp of approval with a dignified, but 
resonating "Ho ho oh oh oh ho." As if an
"amen-ing" echo...

B.E. continued: "It was one of the most 
priceless things I remember about Dale
and those past days in our church."

There you have it my friends, my best 
attempt to acquaint you, with a "chortle."

I'll admit, if you see me on the street, 
don't worry none if I'm laughing slightly
under my breath...I'll just be practicing
Dale's  CHORTLE...as I too remember him
and his laugh---with great fondness.

"ho ho ho ho ho ho..."

 "chortle...chortle..."
-----------
MIL

5/22/18

No comments:

Post a Comment