Monday, June 26, 2017

IN JUNE, THE RED-HEADED BIRD SINGS LOVE SONGS




There is just something about a 
          morn in June, 
                 with its bright 
   blue sky, its cool mountain air, 
      and the perkiness of the 
plants and flowers...that calls me
      to arise...and be a part of it.

It is almost as if all nature 
      has had a good night of respite
(in the shade) from the "burning
      of the noonday heat
            and the burdens of 
    the day..." and is awake early 
and declaring the Glory of God!

I had gathered my beat-up
    little leather notebook, Cross
rolling-ball pen, and thrown on
      my summer weight flannel
Fillson shirt (these early June 
     mornings can be a bit cool), 
         and ensconced myself 
      with my hot coffee
  at the faded white lawn table
       over by the tomatoes
    and was surveying the
         interesting things
          all around me.

Through the neighborhood trees
      and houses I spied the
Sandia Mountains, five miles 
       east, and being still in shade
they were already majestic 
            but did not look 
like "watermelon" slices 
                    yet, this early.

A chicken hawk was gracefully
     soaring above on meager 
unseen updrafts...kind of looking 
        for some juicy earthly
     breakfast morsel, 
             like maybe a mouse!

As I sipped my coffee, I heard
     little bird noises 
       just across the white fence
in the piñon tree...

Our two resident house finches, 
    little birds which hang out
regularly on our grain-feeder
    outside my writing window...

were flitting and flirting and
         pecking at each other....
from tree limb to limb they 
     hopped and frolickd....

That "bird-pecking" looked a 
    little bit like beak-smooching
to me.

Ah the bigger one, with the bright
     red head---the male--was
makng, oh such-tiny sounds as if---
     singing to the cute little
               girl bird...

Listen....I could barely hear:
     "peep...a..peepa...peep...
         tra la...peepa..la...
            you...my...baba...
               la...la..peep..."

He sounded good...like he had
     taken peep lessons...
somewhere.

As I sipped and meditated, and
     took in the marvels of 
this early June day, I remembered
     Isaac Watt's song he 
wrote almost four centuries ago 
     paraphrasing Psalm.    ---

"And heaven and nature sing!"

and then I rememberd Haydn's 
        "CREATION:"

"The heavens are telling the glory
       of God,
The wonder of His work displays
        the firmament."

And I wrote these thoughts down---
      in my beat-up leather
notebook---
     they might fit into 
         a good poem---
    one of these days.
*******************
BY MIL
17 JUNE 17

No comments:

Post a Comment