Sunday, May 1, 2016

"THOUGHTS FROM THE SONORAN DESERT"




By Levi Brake, guest writer

Here it is almost May already and I'm still down here
at Ajo, living the good life.

This has been a strange spring for this area.The initial 
forecast was for a wet winter and early summer. Only 
partially correct, as we found out.

We had an exceptionally dry winter which resulted in
almost no desert flowers as the Ajo lily and the orange
Mexican poppies this year. In a good year they will carpet
the desert floor in many areas.

However the cacti are blooming well, just not as profusely
as they  usually do. Ah,well. We take what we can get when 
it comes to the weather, I s'pose.

It's still not hot here so I reckon I'll stay in Ajo until it gets 
that way before making the short trip up north to P.V. for
the summer.

It does get rather lonely here in late spring when all the
"snow birds" leave and head home back up north 
somewhere, but that's okay. I have friends in town who 
are year-round residents and I go down and visit with 
them  at the Elks Lodge several times a week.

My cleaning lady came in this morning talking about all 
the "pajaros de nieve" who have left. She's straight out 
of Mexico and doesn't speak much English, so I have a 
chance to practice my Spanish.

I am constantly amazed that people can live in an area
like this and not even try to learn Spanish, but very few
of the locals of non-Spanish descent do. "Ay, que gringos
estupidos".

Every morning I scatter bird seed on the ground in the
arroyo behind my house and then sit up on the back 
porch and watch the doves, quail, and rabbits try to outdo
each other before it's all gone.

A few days ago I watched a mama quail leading a brood
of eight chicks down the path out back. I don't know where 
they were going but they completely ignored all the other
critters eating the seed I had scattered. I think mama must
have thought her young 'uns were too fragile to mix it up
with the big boys.

We haven't seen any fox or bobcats around here for several
months which explains why the rabbit numbers have been 
increasing, I reckon. Coyotes and javelinas we have always 
have with us, it seems. Neither one of those seems the least
afraid of humans although the coyotes are always shy.

It has been a good winter here in Ajo and I am happy each 
day when I wake up on the right side of the grass. I sometimes
worry a bit and wonder how life will be for my kids when they 
reach their eighties...

I might have mentioned to you that there is only one place in 
the world I haven't seen and that I would like to visit, and that
is Australia.  Now I am "getting long in the tooth" and almost 
hesitate to try a long trip that far.

I have never been much of a tourist. I have turned down more
offers to visit world famous sites than you can imagine. My 
interest in visiting other places is to get to know the people
and their ways.

I reckon it's about time to wind this down. You take care, Pard,
and keep up the good work with your wordsmithing. You do
some nice stuff. Who'd a thunk it back in '51?
****************

Ajo Lily

BY E. LEVI BRAKE
CLOVIS HIH SCHOOL, 1951
FOR MIL'S PLACE




No comments:

Post a Comment