Tuesday, May 10, 2016

OH, HOW I LOVE "A THOUSAND MORNINGS"!


For a spell there I was at sea.

I had misplaced my priceless
    poetry book
"A Thousand Mornings," by Mary Oliver,
    Pulitzer Poet 

In the vast "scheme of things," 
     some unwashed might say:
"Well la-ti-dah---so what?!"

Mary is an example of a human being---
    who sees our world
and doesn't miss a thing.

With a worn beat-up little leather
     notebook, she sets out mornings
into her woods (where she has spare
     pencil stubs stashed in the
crooks of tree limbs)...
     Seeing, absorbing, breathing-in
everything...fathoming life
      and WRITING!

When I got her book "Mornings," my
    eyes were opened and I saw
poetry in a different light.

It is a rather thin NY Times "best-selling"
    paperback...out of curiosity I put 
a tape on it---3/8 inches thick!

Then began to read, but not to dog-ear,
     I marked favorite (oft short) poems
with paper clips, card-strips...anything...
     UNTIL
The whole book, almost every page 
     was book-marked.

Ah, to have her insights.

I learned:
    Everything is a poem.
        Write about it...
    All of life is a poem,
and a song.
     Sing it.
***************
BY MIL
5/07/16





No comments:

Post a Comment