Wednesday, November 18, 2015

"IT'S AUTUMN-TIME IN THE ATTIC AGAIN"



Somehow or other, no matter how fine an attic a fellow has---
how cozy and well-stocked it is---with man-food---books and 
stuff, he is not so much drawn to hang out up there in the 
summertime.

He may have his little former-office-fridge stocked with V-8's,
Diet Dr. Peppers,  Lemon-Tea Snapples, and a few  $2.00
Delaware Punches (imported from 'Mexico) ----

He probably has filled in his rustic-little-garage-sale-beat-up-
shelf with Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Wolf Chili, Hormel Tamales,
Vienna sausages, sardines in tomato sauce, canned clams,
peanut butter, coupla onions, a box of Ritz crackers, and a can
of Spam!

Attics are good cold-weather-places. They are good places to
listen to the winds, whipping outside around the corners of the
house!

If you are a good listener, you can learn things by listening to 
the wind. I have done so...many times. The wind speaks of
long, lost...and lonely things...old times, old days....it doesn't 
really explain---you have to fill in the blanks...

That day, recently, the "tail-end" of the Indian Summer days,
the big white fluffy clouds were scurrying by on a cold north
wind. It was making moaning sounds and the old pesky
mulberry branch was beginning to whop the house, right
under the attic window.

I headed up to my cozy place, put on my Duluth Operation-
Market Garden "fire hose" jacket, (and cap), turned up the
heat a bit, and ensconced myself right by the window with
my Staples pad....time to write my annual autumn poem!

I could see well out the window...up and down our street!

The wind was getting up and blowing strange things down 
the street....the multi-colored leaves were hurrying 
along sidewalks and curbs...rolling all over each other,
noisily, like puppies at play.

I began my poem...

"WHAT IS THERE ABOUT AUTUMN?!"
*******************************************

O it's the cool refreshing air
     after the dog-days 
of summer

It's the gentleness of the
     Indian Summer light

It's the first norther rattlin'
     the eaves...and the leaves

It is the colors of the leaves,
    Oh yes!

Oranges, browns, golds, olive,
    faded greens, red oaks,
teal, light yellow, purple...

Autumn is excitement!
     Piles of orange pumpkins
galore, at little markets,
    and big...

The smell of green chiles roasting
     has wafted to our neighborhood
all the way from Wyoming...
    Ah, how fragrant!

Football is going big time, and the
      Lobos are a miraculous
six and four!

My old hunting and fishing boots
    over in the corner, under
the 3/4 bed, need to he oiled
  and readied for winter.
-----
Uh oh, my poem about fall ended
     right there....

It began snowing suddenly, and soon
there were five inches on the ground.

I sat open-mouthed and watched, with the
wind, getting colder all the time,  wafting into
my face through the one inch ventilation 
crack at the bottom of the window, where
I sat, writing.

Wow! Is this great or what? Bye, bye, autumn...
and hello winter!

I'm opening my can of Spam and slicing an
onion! To celebrate! Maybe a Delaware Punch
to wash it down! Fun, fun!

It's a great day! There is always something
grand about attics...and storms...and wind...
and especially snow!

....and that miracle of...SPAM!


------------------
By Mil

11-17-15

2 comments:

  1. Only one comment. When you said you actually ate the Spam you lost me. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one comment. When you said you actually ate the Spam you lost me. HA!

    ReplyDelete